Menu icon Foundation
Why two JS package managers?

I created a new Foundation 5 project using the Grunt/libsass option (and both F5 and lib sass are awesome BTW) but I was curious why it uses both Bower and npm. Looks like the compass variant uses Bower alone, but the Grunt one uses npm for its packages. I'm new to Bower, but it looks similar to npm, any reason why you're using it in addition to npm?

Just curious. I love the framework and F5 is a big upgrade, congrats!

bowernodenpmGruntlibsassinstall

I created a new Foundation 5 project using the Grunt/libsass option (and both F5 and lib sass are awesome BTW) but I was curious why it uses both Bower and npm. Looks like the compass variant uses Bower alone, but the Grunt one uses npm for its packages. I'm new to Bower, but it looks similar to npm, any reason why you're using it in addition to npm?

Just curious. I love the framework and F5 is a big upgrade, congrats!

Mark Hayes almost 6 years ago

Bower is a package manager for web assets, generally CSS and JS files. At a very basic level it just fetches the contents of GitHub repositories and saves them to your computer.

NPM on the other hand is a package manager for Node.js that allows users to install Node.js libraries. So in the case of libsass we use NPM to install grunt and node-sass which helps monitor and compile SCSS files. It can probably best be thought of as Node.js equivalent to Ruby's gems.

Hope that clears things up, cheers!

David Miller over 5 years ago

To simplify further, NPM is generally for server-side stuff, Bower is generally for front-end stuff.

Edward Moore 25 days ago

I would say your foundation can also help the many people to travel and help the to enjoy the trip in good way.There are some of the best https://travelsites.com/last-minute-travel/ site are available which provides the different locations with the certain projects as well and people are getting lot of facilties while traveling as well.