Menu icon Foundation
Upgrading to F5+Sass (without Compass / Ruby / ...)

Hello

I'm a bit slow on upgrading to F5 from F4, you might think. I think so too, but now the time has come for me to do it.

When I started using F4, I compiled all my SCSS files using Scout App.

Since Sass and Compass are Ruby gems, they require that I had a working knowledge of Ruby and the command line. Not all designers (like me) will know how or want to use command line tools, and that's where Scout steps in.

Scout runs Sass and Compass in a self-contained Ruby environment, letting me effortlessly manage all of my Sass projects with a handful of clicks.

I was able to do this as ZURB had a download for stand-alone SCSS files (click then scroll to "Using Sass Standalone"). However in F5, they don't (or I can't find it). Scout doesn't require command lines as it updates CSS files once it detects a change in the SCSS files.

If someone can point me in the right direction in finding stand-alone SCSS files or a workaround of installing F5+SASS without Compass / Ruby / Git / NodeJS I will be so grateful!

Many thanks in advance,

Wing-Hou Chan

upgradeSassFoundation 5rubycompassscssScout App

Hello

I'm a bit slow on upgrading to F5 from F4, you might think. I think so too, but now the time has come for me to do it.

When I started using F4, I compiled all my SCSS files using Scout App.

Since Sass and Compass are Ruby gems, they require that I had a working knowledge of Ruby and the command line. Not all designers (like me) will know how or want to use command line tools, and that's where Scout steps in.

Scout runs Sass and Compass in a self-contained Ruby environment, letting me effortlessly manage all of my Sass projects with a handful of clicks.

I was able to do this as ZURB had a download for stand-alone SCSS files (click then scroll to "Using Sass Standalone"). However in F5, they don't (or I can't find it). Scout doesn't require command lines as it updates CSS files once it detects a change in the SCSS files.

If someone can point me in the right direction in finding stand-alone SCSS files or a workaround of installing F5+SASS without Compass / Ruby / Git / NodeJS I will be so grateful!

Many thanks in advance,

Wing-Hou Chan

This post has been closed. No new replies can be added.

James Dullaghan about 5 years ago

Wing-Hou!

I have some great news! There is a bower-foundation repository where you can find all of the scss assets uncompiled to use with Scout.

Bower Foundation Repository

Hope this helps!

-James

Karl Johan Kleist about 5 years ago

I'd like to get rid of my Ruby dependencies too. Trying to understand what "foundation new" does, I've investigated "[...]Ruby\193\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\foundation-1.0.4\lib\foundation\cli\generator.rb".

EDIT: Please ignore my silly remark:

I'm no git pro, but why first "git clone" and then "git remote rm origin"? Wouldn't "git checkout" do the same, without littering with the ".git" directory mentioned by "http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/245-nested-git-repositories" ?

Wing-Hou Chan about 5 years ago

Hi James,

Thank you so much!!!

Just the thing I needed. I can now begin upgrading!