Menu icon Foundation
Alternate grid system(s)?

After getting accustomed to Foundation this past week I can safely say I've warmed up to it quite a bit. That being said I'm at a point where I'm not sure whether to integrate other grid systems into it or to stick to its built-in one. Which then leads to...

Do you use other grids with Foundation and if so, which ones and why? Do they fill a void for you that the default grids don't?

adding another gridadd-ons

After getting accustomed to Foundation this past week I can safely say I've warmed up to it quite a bit. That being said I'm at a point where I'm not sure whether to integrate other grid systems into it or to stick to its built-in one. Which then leads to...

Do you use other grids with Foundation and if so, which ones and why? Do they fill a void for you that the default grids don't?

Rafi Benkual over 5 years ago

What are you trying to accomplish by adding another?

Mihai Stroe over 5 years ago

I don't want to add another system to Foundation's grids, I'm talking about other grids substituting the Foundation ones. I was curious to see if anybody around does this and if so, what do they use.

bloxboy about 5 years ago

Same question, I would need to create a 10 collumns grid, I hoped to be able to use a foundation mixins ( i use sass) but i don't find any thread about that feature .
Doest it exist ?

in fact, i would like to keep the 12-collumns system; and put a new grid of 10

I m trying to make it by using

grid-html-classes
and change $total-columns= 10 , just before.

After some tests without any good returns, i have duplicated the _grid.scss in a new _grid10.scss
That's work but it s a lot of thricks for a new grid .....

Karl Ward about 5 years ago

why do you need both a 12-column-grid and a 10-column grid for the same website? That adds unnecessary size to the CSS files, and is unproductive. The whole point of a "12 column grid", is that it averagely allows you to split pages into any amount of fractional columns, either it be 10/12, 6/12, 1/12 or full 12/12. Adding another 10-column grid may offer a tiny difference in column fractions, but what is the point? For many reasons, you need to decide on a single grid and build your design upon it ...

Im not the art director on this project ;)
But in fact, There is a design in 5 equal columns for some page without gutter. And It would be really efficient to keep the grid system (large, small, meidum ..) .
In the past i used Susy wich was perfect for this kind of problems.
(sorry for my poor english)

Karl Ward about 5 years ago

So why not change to a 10-column grid then? ... or do you also need some pages with 6 columns? The grid is mainly a utility help create a responsive layout of a website, and it is a bit unusual to use that amount of columns for this main purpose. If you need an additional grid to separate content over multiple columns, you should probably consider the aid of the block grid:
http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/block_grid.html

The block grid can be used within a normal grid to create extended inner content column layouts based on a different logic.