Menu icon Foundation
Foundation Forum Feature Requests & Suggestions

Howdy Everyone!

I've been on this Forum for quite a while now and I wanted to say what a great place this is. You make this community so much stronger by giving solutions to problems posted by others using Foundation.

I thought it might be the time to make a thread with for posting Feature Requests & Suggestions. We recently had a spammer / spam-bot and the responses posted by the community, I'm sure, have been helpful to the guys at ZURB who have built and are maintaining the world's most advanced front-end responsive framework.

I have some feature requests and suggestions I would like to make and it would be great if others posted theirs here as well to help build a stronger community by making this excellent Forum even better!

Foundation ForumFeaturefeature requestSuggestions

Howdy Everyone!

I've been on this Forum for quite a while now and I wanted to say what a great place this is. You make this community so much stronger by giving solutions to problems posted by others using Foundation.

I thought it might be the time to make a thread with for posting Feature Requests & Suggestions. We recently had a spammer / spam-bot and the responses posted by the community, I'm sure, have been helpful to the guys at ZURB who have built and are maintaining the world's most advanced front-end responsive framework.

I have some feature requests and suggestions I would like to make and it would be great if others posted theirs here as well to help build a stronger community by making this excellent Forum even better!

Karl Ward gave the most helpful answer for this post
Karl Ward over 5 years ago

Except for the basic layout, the Foundation forum has little to do with the Foundation framework of course, and never will. Its mainly a backend app written in Ruby, connected to a DB.

The forum works fine, but the forum will have to go through all infancies that most other forums software have already been though. The amount of spam at this point is very annoying.

Wing-Hou Chan over 5 years ago

Fixes
• Email Notification
I've seen the email notification options when you go and edit your Profile, however I never seem to actually get any emails telling me of new comments. It would be useful to have this fixed as it some users have raised some awareness of it and it will keep first-time posters coming as sometimes they don't check their thread for a while so the discussion just stops.
• IE9 Rendering
Okay, I know, almost no-one uses IE9. However unfortunately it is only almost and I am one unlucky guy to be forced to use IE9 on the machines I use at school. The sites I build with Foundation render fine in IE9 but for some reason Foundation Forum looks like it was built by a 10-year-old when I visit it on IE9
• Mark As Most Helpful
I can't actually mark comments "as most helpful" in the threads I've opened.

Feature Requests / Suggestions
• Social Media Links
I've linked my Twitter account to ZURB Platform. Not sure why or what it does so I thought it would be cool if there was an icon on my profile taking visitors to my Twitter profile. As a result why not throw in Facebook, GitHub and LinkedIn. It would let prospective employers check out your personality, previous work, etc and whatever else they look for.
• Support limited markup in comments and threads
Foundation Forum lets us post links by just typing the URL. It would be great if we can use some markup like <em> or <strong> to support our solution and make understanding easier. I thought it was possible as I had seen some users implement it however I experimented myself and it doesn't seem possible.

Alexander Assimidis over 5 years ago

I think the most important Task should be the Speed of the Forum - it's a little bit slow and laggy.

Alexander Assimidis over 5 years ago

Another great thing would be an Upload button to attach somethin on ur post

Rubén Santacruz over 5 years ago

I'd love it could keep me logged in. The checkbox during login doesn't do anything.

Rafi Benkual over 5 years ago

@Wing,
Thanks for the suggestions! Just awesome!

**We are working on the email notifications presently. The forum spam set us back a bit but we're starting to get ahead of it again.

**IE9 rendering, that's a tough case to make. We care that it works on all browsers. Our development time is being allocated to higher priority issues right now.

**Profile page and social links will be updated soon. We will display the Twiter handle, if provided, and the Mini bio. This will let people know if a person is for hire or what they do.

**We think we need to rework the "most helpful" annotation. The person who posted the question should be the one to mark it, or just calculate the answer with the most "helpful" points as most helpful. If there is a tie then only the one the post creator marks gets the "most helpful" billing.

**We want to add some formatting options like the ones underlined here. http://gyazo.com/f94fd88d75266a18823e111f255969ca
We want to be able to embed images from upload or url into the response.

@Alexander
**The recent spam attacks have created more slowness on the site. This exposed some inefficiencies in the backend of the codebase. We have temporarily disabled some of the processes that require reading lots of data (displaying posts already read) until we can re-write how that is being handled. This has helped for now.

@Ruben
Didn't know this was happening. It seems like the cookie is being recorded but the session is not being persisted. We're trying to find out why.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming! We're evolving the Forum with the new demands and are excited to see you all on here!

James Stone over 5 years ago

@Wing thanks for opening this thread and @Rafi thanks for the update.

I think having some sort of profile with a link to twitter and or your website would be great. Sure, I know I am curious who people are and twitter allows you to quickly say thanks and see what people are up to.

I think for me the biggest feature or improvement would be to revise how the user profile works. I would like to be able to quickly see which questions I answered, if they were voted up, if they were selected most helpful and what the activity is.

I would also like to know when someone replies to my answer, a question I replied to, or be able to favorite specific questions.

I really love SO and think it is a good model to look at. They have a very active community and badging system. It rewards all of those that participate in their own ways. Some people just like to fix tags or typos. Some people like to answer lots of questions. Some people like to ask lots of questions.

I think that seeing the latest questions as a stream is a good start. I know you can drill down based on keywords but you have to click on the post to get at them.

I think if you can devise ways in which experienced users can quickly identify questions in the areas they focus in you will encourage a lot more of that type of interaction.

For example I am not really interested in answering questions on ember with Foundation. Its not that Ember isn't awesome, it is just outside of what I normally do, so it would be great if I could drill down on the technologies or components that I am more familiar with or enjoy talking about.

Email notifications are also a great idea regardless.

Another thought, a simple flag content button might allow you to id spammers and off topic content quicker.

@Rafi

Yea, I agree about the case of IE9 rendering as well. That could be ultra-ultra-low priority for now.

Everything else - cool.

@Alexander @Rubén @James

Thanks for the comments! It'll help make Foundation Forum an even more epic place!

@Rafi!

Noticed some changes to the Forum! Whooo!

Tony Stark over 5 years ago

Hello
Will you add Send personal message feature in forum?
this is very useful option.

Thank's

Arthur de la Rocha over 5 years ago

@Tony

That is a cool and common feature to have in a forum and we are open to the idea of it. As of right now our development efforts are currently focused on Foundation5.3 and Foundation6.0 . There will be opportunity to keep building in useful features as this community grows and you can bet a messaging system will eventually be in place :)

Samuel Kelemen over 5 years ago

Can we get a spam flag for replys/comments on posts. These bots are on to us!

Also, It would be a great favor to me, and probably other devs, if you could make the Foundation Forum software opensource as well.

Tom Hogan over 5 years ago

I'd like to second Samuel's suggestions. A spam flag inside the comments section would be a great addition at this point. Also, open source forum software is a fantastic idea.

Hey, something that has been driving me nuts for the past few months is when I use the insert code feature, once I select a language, the drop down never closes. I have to click again to close the language drop down. I think in a world when we are used to being about to click outside of the menu to close it, or have it close once something is selected, this action is kind of expected.

This may just be an error, so sys_specs:
Windows 7 Professional SP1
Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137 m
1920x1200 Monitor Resolution

I get the same stuck code drop down on Chrome 34 mac.

Marek Simko over 5 years ago

this forum needs so much futures ... it would be great just to use something like ip.board or vanilla forums

I disagree. I really like the Zurb is building it themselves. It shows us what's possible with Foundation.

Karl Ward over 5 years ago

Except for the basic layout, the Foundation forum has little to do with the Foundation framework of course, and never will. Its mainly a backend app written in Ruby, connected to a DB.

The forum works fine, but the forum will have to go through all infancies that most other forums software have already been though. The amount of spam at this point is very annoying.

Well, foundation was never meant to be a backend solution, its a UI/UX foundation, so its being used as much as it can be in the forum.
Althought the new foundation is being rebuilt with Angular.JS so, foundation may soon be playing a bigger part in the forums.

Now for the feature request part..

I know this is trivial and not a priority, but I think it would be nice to have a badge we can add to our sites that would link back to these forums. Like a Yeti and the # of helpful posts we have from the profile section.

Just a thought

AWESOME! Just saw the Mark as Most Helpful link added. Too bad it throws an error 404.