Menu icon Foundation
Getting Started with Koala

I'm brand new to Foundation. I've used Bootstrap but only dealt with HTML/CSS files. I'd like to give learning Sass a try with Foundation but I'm finding it very difficult to wrap my around. I know Foundation has the CLI which I think I could probably get working, but given that I'm in "try out" mode with Foundation, I didn't want to dig that deep into it yet if possible. 

I found Koala on the Sass website and since it's free, I am trying to use it.

What I've done to this point is go to https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites and download the .zip. I extract the files and then add the parent directory to Koala. 

From there, I'm not exactly sure what to do? I understand what Sass is and how it works, but I can't seem to make the jump from adding my project to Koala and actually getting started using it. The download at the above URL doesn't seem to have any example HTML starter templates? Do I need to manually download those and include them into that project folder somewhere? I assume I need to create my own style.css file and my own style.scss file? Where do I place those and what would I include inside of the .scss file so that all of the features of Foundation are included and compiled into my newly created style.css file? I saw a post online mentioning that inside of my custom .scss file I should "@import 'foundation';" but that doesn't seem to do anything except place:

/**

* Foundation for Sites by ZURB

* Version 6.4.3

* foundation.zurb.com

* Licensed under MIT Open Source

*/

At the top of my style.css file after compiling. 

Am I completely off track here? Can someone help get me going the correct direction? Should I drop Koala and just suck it up and use the CLI?

Thanks

Sasskoalafoundation 6

I'm brand new to Foundation. I've used Bootstrap but only dealt with HTML/CSS files. I'd like to give learning Sass a try with Foundation but I'm finding it very difficult to wrap my around. I know Foundation has the CLI which I think I could probably get working, but given that I'm in "try out" mode with Foundation, I didn't want to dig that deep into it yet if possible. 

I found Koala on the Sass website and since it's free, I am trying to use it.

What I've done to this point is go to https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites and download the .zip. I extract the files and then add the parent directory to Koala. 

From there, I'm not exactly sure what to do? I understand what Sass is and how it works, but I can't seem to make the jump from adding my project to Koala and actually getting started using it. The download at the above URL doesn't seem to have any example HTML starter templates? Do I need to manually download those and include them into that project folder somewhere? I assume I need to create my own style.css file and my own style.scss file? Where do I place those and what would I include inside of the .scss file so that all of the features of Foundation are included and compiled into my newly created style.css file? I saw a post online mentioning that inside of my custom .scss file I should "@import 'foundation';" but that doesn't seem to do anything except place:

/**

* Foundation for Sites by ZURB

* Version 6.4.3

* foundation.zurb.com

* Licensed under MIT Open Source

*/

At the top of my style.css file after compiling. 

Am I completely off track here? Can someone help get me going the correct direction? Should I drop Koala and just suck it up and use the CLI?

Thanks

Rafi Benkual 10 months ago

Not sure what you had downloaded to start with Foundation. If you started with the basic template, they your have a Sass compiler and the project compiles every-time you save (you refresh your browser to see changes.)

You might like using the ZURB Template because it has more features and is easy enough to setup without Koala.

You can download it here and this is the link to installation instructions: https://github.com/zurb/foundation-zurb-template/blob/master/readme.md#installation