Menu icon Foundation
command not found (installing Foundation 5)

Hi

I've never tried to use Ruby or gems or Foundation or Node/npm? or git or Bower/BASH? or anything like that before today.
I'm think I managed to install Bower... Lots of stuff definitely happened when I typed "npm install -g bower grunt-cli" into the BASH thing...

Anyway, I presumed it had installed and tried "gem install foundation" like this http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html page says to do but I just get "gem: command not found". Then I tried "[sudo] npm install -g bower grunt-cli" (not sure what sudo is) but got "sudo: command not found". HO HUM.

I actually managed to set up a website with Foundation 4 using just Ruby but then realised it wasn't Foundation 5...

I'm new to scss but I vaguely know about variables so I wanted to try using it from the beginning of me trying Foundation 5. I just need to install Foundation 5. >.<

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Foundation 5sudonpmbashcommand not foundbower

Hi

I've never tried to use Ruby or gems or Foundation or Node/npm? or git or Bower/BASH? or anything like that before today.
I'm think I managed to install Bower... Lots of stuff definitely happened when I typed "npm install -g bower grunt-cli" into the BASH thing...

Anyway, I presumed it had installed and tried "gem install foundation" like this http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html page says to do but I just get "gem: command not found". Then I tried "[sudo] npm install -g bower grunt-cli" (not sure what sudo is) but got "sudo: command not found". HO HUM.

I actually managed to set up a website with Foundation 4 using just Ruby but then realised it wasn't Foundation 5...

I'm new to scss but I vaguely know about variables so I wanted to try using it from the beginning of me trying Foundation 5. I just need to install Foundation 5. >.<

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Clara almost 6 years ago

Oh wait, do I install the gem with the command prompt with Ruby thing? brb

Clara almost 6 years ago

Also have I messed up my forum post? because my paragraphs are a little squishled.

Mihai Stroe almost 6 years ago

If you're not looking to work with Sass (sass/scss) then you don't need to worry about command line, Ruby, Node, or Bower. Simply head to the download page, download the "Default CSS" (or customize then download), unzip, and start working with the files as you normally would.

If you would like to work with Sass then you would need to first install Ruby, Node.js, Git, and Bower and further follow the instructions from http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html

Clara almost 6 years ago

Aha. Well I have no idea how to actually open the foundation5/sass that I have installed, that is yet to learn, but I think I have installed it.

How can I check which version of Foundation I'm using? I went into Ruby and created a project but whereas before it said 'this is version 4' the new project I have created does not have this information.

Thanks.

Clara almost 6 years ago

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear. I am planning to use scss (not the older sass), I just haven't used it before. I think I've installed Foundation with sass correctly now but I can't be 100% sure it has created a Foundation 5 project. :S

Also not sure why I can't reply to you directly.

Clara almost 6 years ago

Tbh it hasn't even worked properly. When I installed Sass and Foundation 4 everything was easy and worked fine. I had the working default Foundation 4 website and it told me what version it was.

For some reason Foundation 5 is much harder to install, it won't tell me what version it is, and the site is only half working. It has all the text, the html seems to be there but the css/scss isn't working? because there's no visuals other than text. :(

I could so easily use F4 but that seems silly to do right after the F5 launch.