Menu icon Foundation
npm install "can't find python.exe"

I'm on a windows platform and I've been having an error installing foundation and its dependencies via npm. 

The error is as below. though I have python 3.6.3 installed 

gyp verb could not find "C:\Users\jazie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.EXE". checking python launcher

gyp verb could not find "C:\Users\jazie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.EXE". guessing location

gyp verb ensuring that file exists: C:\Python27\python.exe

gyp ERR! configure error

gyp ERR! stack Error: Can't find Python executable "C:\Users\jazie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.EXE", you can set the PYTHON env variable.

I believe this has something to do with setting the PATH variable though I'm having navigating around it. 

npminstallpython

I'm on a windows platform and I've been having an error installing foundation and its dependencies via npm. 

The error is as below. though I have python 3.6.3 installed 

gyp verb could not find "C:\Users\jazie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.EXE". checking python launcher

gyp verb could not find "C:\Users\jazie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.EXE". guessing location

gyp verb ensuring that file exists: C:\Python27\python.exe

gyp ERR! configure error

gyp ERR! stack Error: Can't find Python executable "C:\Users\jazie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.EXE", you can set the PYTHON env variable.

I believe this has something to do with setting the PATH variable though I'm having navigating around it. 

Jaziel Tan 10 months ago

Right... 

So after hours wasted in front end dependency hell. 
here's the problem. 

There's a dependency needed named Node-gyp. What does it do? I don't really know, it compiles Node addons which are node modules written in C or C+. why in the world did I need that? who knows. 

Node-gyp requires Python. but it doesn't support python 3. it requires python 2.7. now my npm is set to use python 3.6. So you will need to either install python 2.7 but if you are on windows, you will need to get Microsoft build tools for the configuration. refer to this

after following the instructions set node-gyp to run on python 2.7 and run npm install on your project directory. that should work. 

Paul Leblanc 10 months ago

Geometry Dash is a fast paced platformer http://topaussiereviews.com/ozessay-com-au-review/ that will surrender you hollering in disappointment, yet you'll keep returning for extra.

Jules Webb 10 months ago

Thank you Jaziel!

I had more than 7 hours of hours wasted in front end dependency hell! 

Thank you for leading me to the final piece of the puzzle. I had just installed python 3 and was having no luck at all when I found your post.

Cheers!
Jules

rajan kuamr about 1 month ago

This error can be occurred in your system due to window version that's why your system is crashed again and again and also occurring the error of sum.exe file , it can be out of danger whenever you will install appropriate update window version.

Thuoc podophyllin 25 about 1 month ago

Thank you Jaziel!

Joshua McElfresh about 1 hour ago

Created an account just to reply to this question, because this bug is so frustrating. I tried everything on the node-gyp page linked and I still couldn't get it to work.

Downgrading node from 10.x to 8.12 LTS was what eventually worked for me. Incredible that Google has this as part of their firebase sdk if node-gyp requires this level of baby-sitting.