Menu icon Foundation
Zurbs commitment to Foundation?

I'm deciding on frameworks for future projects and I'm curious about Zurbs commitment to Foundation.

The development of Foundation 6 has been a rocky road to say the least and now it seems to have stalled. It slowed down after summer, 6.4.4-rc1 was released on October 4th and since October 5th there has not been a single commit to the repository. There are over 600 open issues and over 50 pending pull request. Also this forum is overrun by spam posts.

Can I trust that Zurb will continue to develop Foundation 6 at a steady pace, fixing bugs etc or should I move on? 

foundation development bugs zurb

I'm deciding on frameworks for future projects and I'm curious about Zurbs commitment to Foundation.

The development of Foundation 6 has been a rocky road to say the least and now it seems to have stalled. It slowed down after summer, 6.4.4-rc1 was released on October 4th and since October 5th there has not been a single commit to the repository. There are over 600 open issues and over 50 pending pull request. Also this forum is overrun by spam posts.

Can I trust that Zurb will continue to develop Foundation 6 at a steady pace, fixing bugs etc or should I move on? 

Andrew Henning almost 2 years ago

I also feel Zurb is slipping.

For example, the official Zurb template (Foundation 6 for Sites) has deteriorated into somewhat of a cluster-f***.

Many of the npm packages it references are deprecated. There are also issues with one chain of node_module references:

foundation 6.4.1 > gulp-sass ^2.1.0 > node-sass ^3.13.1

The installation process attempts to install binaries for that version of node-sass, which github no longer hosts, as they are not compatible with newer versions of nodejs. This causes the installation process to terminate with an error. It's hard to imagine Zurb is taking Foundation 6 for Sites seriously when it's left to rot for such a long time, causing even initial project setup to simply not work.

If I were looking at Zurb today for the first time, this would instantly make me drop Foundation and head for Bootstrap.

Ryan Patterson almost 2 years ago

As someone who has been using Foundation since F3, I feel Zurb does a pretty good job at keeping up with bug fixes and making general improvements. Especially seeing as they distribute it for free. 

I have no idea why there hasn't been any github commits recently. Maybe they are focusing most of their current resources on F7, which I heard is on it's way. But I'm just speculating. 

Now, I will admit, I do feel Zurb is kind of slipping in terms of this forum. I see so many questions go unanswered by anyone from Zurb. I know some get answered by other forum members, but kind of expected them to be more involved than they have been. And as you mentioned, the spam in this forum is getting out of control and it doesn't seem like anything is being done about it. 

So in my opinion, Zurb has always seemed committed to Foundation, just not the Foundation forums.