Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 5 Technical Support for Hire?

I'm looking for help setting up a new Foundation 5.5.3 Sass project using the CLI. This install use to work on my Mac computer but now I get error messages that I do not know how to resolve.

Jays-iMac-5:websites rts$ foundation new alcatfoodtest

-bash: foundation: command not found

So I tried to reinstall the CLI and got permission errors which I do not know how to resolve.

Jays-iMac-5:~ rts$ sudo npm install -g bower grunt-cli

Password:

npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: ...psst! Your project can stop working at any moment because its dependencies can change. Prevent this by migrating to Yarn: https://bower.io/blog/2017/how-to-migrate-away-from-bower/

/usr/local/bin/bower -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/bin/bower

/usr/local/bin/grunt -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/grunt-cli/bin/grunt

/usr/local/lib

├── [email protected] 

└── [email protected] 

Jays-iMac-5:~ rts$ sudo gem install foundation

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EPERM)

Operation not permitted - /usr/bin/foundation

Jays-iMac-5:~ rts$ 

We've posted this issue in the Foundation forum but have not gotten a solution and we need to get started on our project. I am willing to pay a genrous fee for someone to do a phone call and  screen share to take a look at what is going on and walk me through the needed fix. 

V5installcliSass

I'm looking for help setting up a new Foundation 5.5.3 Sass project using the CLI. This install use to work on my Mac computer but now I get error messages that I do not know how to resolve.

Jays-iMac-5:websites rts$ foundation new alcatfoodtest

-bash: foundation: command not found

So I tried to reinstall the CLI and got permission errors which I do not know how to resolve.

Jays-iMac-5:~ rts$ sudo npm install -g bower grunt-cli

Password:

npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: ...psst! Your project can stop working at any moment because its dependencies can change. Prevent this by migrating to Yarn: https://bower.io/blog/2017/how-to-migrate-away-from-bower/

/usr/local/bin/bower -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/bin/bower

/usr/local/bin/grunt -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/grunt-cli/bin/grunt

/usr/local/lib

├── [email protected] 

└── [email protected] 

Jays-iMac-5:~ rts$ sudo gem install foundation

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EPERM)

Operation not permitted - /usr/bin/foundation

Jays-iMac-5:~ rts$ 

We've posted this issue in the Foundation forum but have not gotten a solution and we need to get started on our project. I am willing to pay a genrous fee for someone to do a phone call and  screen share to take a look at what is going on and walk me through the needed fix. 

Val Ery about 2 years ago

Hi Jay!

For projects based on version 5.5.3, you must use the old cli-version. Try to do so:

sudo npm install -g [email protected]

This will install globally version 2.0.0 in the directory [email protected] After that, check which version is installed

foundation -v

P.S. I do not know which cli-version was used when working with Foundaton 5.5.3. If it is even older, the procedure is as follows:
- delete the installed cli-version

sudo npm uninstall -g [email protected]

- install the version you need

sudo npm install -g [email protected]

P.P.S. foundation-cli here (change version in Tag list), Foundation 5.5.3 here , a small guide to working with other versions here

I hope this will help you.

Jay Todtenbier about 2 years ago

Thank you Val.

holmescreek almost 2 years ago

I'm having somewhat of the same issue - on a Mac as well. I currently develop with Foundation 6, but today I needed to go back and work on a site built with Foundation 5.5.3 - I tried the above, Val, and it doesn't work. In addition, I've spent the whole day trying to get "foundation watch" or "npm start" to work on this 5.5.3 site to no avail - everything from re-installing npm, bower, ruby, python, gem and so on...

I tried with other 5.5.3 projects and couldn't get any to watch for sass/js changes.

Did you guys ever figure out a solution to this? 

Val Ery almost 2 years ago

Hi holmescreek!

What is displayed in the console when
1) executing npm install
2) performing npm start
Are there any error messages in the console? Warnings?

Thanks for the quick reply Val.

Installed:

OS/X 10.11.6

npm 5.6.0

node 9.3.0

Foundation CLI version 2.2.5  (I've also tried with older versions of the CLI tool)

ruby 2.5.0p0

Python 2.7.10

Below is the output I get on all my old Foundation 5.5.3 sites. npm start and foundation watch work fine on Foundation 6 sites.

This is the results of npm start and the log file:

warrens-Mac-mini:templates warren$ npm start
npm ERR! missing script: start

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/.npm/_logs/2018-01-07T15_33_58_971Z-debug.log
warrens-Mac-mini:templates warren$ cat /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/.npm/_logs/2018-01-07T15_33_58_971Z-debug.log
0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ '/usr/local/bin/node', '/usr/local/bin/npm', 'start' ]
2 info using [email protected]
3 info using [email protected]
4 verbose stack Error: missing script: start
4 verbose stack     at run (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/run-script.js:151:19)
4 verbose stack     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/run-script.js:61:5
4 verbose stack     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:115:5
4 verbose stack     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:402:5
4 verbose stack     at checkBinReferences_ (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:357:45)
4 verbose stack     at final (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:400:3)
4 verbose stack     at then (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:160:5)
4 verbose stack     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:348:12
4 verbose stack     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/graceful-fs/graceful-fs.js:78:16
4 verbose stack     at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (fs.js:528:3)
5 verbose cwd /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates
6 verbose Darwin 15.6.0
7 verbose argv "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "start"
8 verbose node v9.3.0
9 verbose npm  v5.6.0
10 error missing script: start
11 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

Using: $ foundation watch:

warrens-Mac-mini:templates warren$ foundation watch
Error: missing script: start
    at run (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/lib/run-script.js:142:19)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/lib/run-script.js:58:5
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:356:5
    at checkBinReferences_ (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:320:45)
    at final (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:354:3)
    at then (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:124:5)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:311:12
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/foundation-cli/node_modules/npm/node_modules/graceful-fs/graceful-fs.js:78:16
    at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (fs.js:528:3)

running : grunt watch 

warrens-Mac-mini:templates warren$ grunt --verbose
Initializing
Command-line options: --verbose

Reading "Gruntfile.js" Gruntfile...OK

Registering Gruntfile tasks.
Reading package.json...OK
Parsing package.json...OK
Initializing config...OK

Registering "grunt-sass" local Npm module tasks.
Reading /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/grunt-sass/package.json...OK
Parsing /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/grunt-sass/package.json...OK
Loading "sass.js" tasks...ERROR
>> Error: The `libsass` binding was not found in /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/node-sass/vendor/darwin-x64-59/binding.node
>> This usually happens because your node version has changed.
>> Run `npm rebuild node-sass` to build the binding for your current node version.
>>     at Object.sass.getBinaryPath (/Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/node-sass/lib/extensions.js:150:11)
>>     at Object.<anonymous> (/Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/node-sass/lib/index.js:16:36)
>>     at Module._compile (module.js:660:30)
>>     at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:671:10)
>>     at Module.load (module.js:573:32)
>>     at tryModuleLoad (module.js:513:12)
>>     at Function.Module._load (module.js:505:3)
>>     at Module.require (module.js:604:17)
>>     at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
>>     at Object.<anonymous> (/Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/grunt-sass/tasks/sass.js:5:12)

Registering "grunt-contrib-watch" local Npm module tasks.
Reading /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/grunt-contrib-watch/package.json...OK
Parsing /Volumes/MASTER/Users/warren/Documents/webprojects/libertyco-processwire/site/templates/node_modules/grunt-contrib-watch/package.json...OK
Loading "watch.js" tasks...OK
+ watch
Loading "Gruntfile.js" tasks...OK
+ build, default

No tasks specified, running default tasks.
Running tasks: default

Running "default" task

Running "build" task
Warning: Task "sass" not found. Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.

with grunt I've uninstall/reinstalled npm, libsass, etc., countless times.

Again, Foundation 6 sites run fine, but all of my Foundation 5.x sites have the above results.

Oh, forgot...

bower 1.8.2

grunt-cli v1.2.0

grunt v0.4.5 

Val Ery almost 2 years ago

holmescreek!

I see two problems:

1) npm ERR! missing script: start

See here - string 6

"scripts": {
    "start": "grunt"
},

and compare it with your file.

2) 'libsass' binding was not found

I think the reason is confusion in the versions. To resolve problems with nodejs, you can run 'npm rebuild node-sass'.

P.S. I have now tried to install 5.5.3. Also got an error - not installed bundler. It's true, I do not have it. Therefore, on this I stopped. I think, problems would not arise. My steps - f) git clone, b) npm install, c) bower install, d) npm start.

P.P.S. Here there is a detailed description of the installation (link). The recommended installation contains the following: gem install foundation. To install a specific version of the framework, you can use the search: gem search foundation - and then install the one you need.

davidmark almost 2 years ago

Nice Post Thanks For Sharing

http://www.anpingyadong.com/