Menu icon Foundation
Prototyping vs. Production in 6.4

Yo ZURB, just wondering if you can expand a little on your thought process behind the new Prototype Utilities in F6.4?

The blog and some documentation says, "we're beginning to be much more explicit about parts of the framework that are intended for rapid prototyping but should not be part of your production project."

Fair enough, it makes sense to remove bloat from production code. But then I take a look at what's been deprecated, and it looks like almost everything used on a typical site -- visibility classes, typography, responsive classes, button styles, etc.

So, what's your view of the best practice here; that production environments should be built mostly from scratch instead of using Foundation's stuff?

Also, I noticed that app.scss in the zurb template still has entries such as:

@include foundation-visibility-classes;

I thought those go away now, becoming something like @include foundation-prototype-text-utilities instead? Or am I misunderstanding everything?

prototyping6.4productionvisibility classes

Yo ZURB, just wondering if you can expand a little on your thought process behind the new Prototype Utilities in F6.4?

The blog and some documentation says, "we're beginning to be much more explicit about parts of the framework that are intended for rapid prototyping but should not be part of your production project."

Fair enough, it makes sense to remove bloat from production code. But then I take a look at what's been deprecated, and it looks like almost everything used on a typical site -- visibility classes, typography, responsive classes, button styles, etc.

So, what's your view of the best practice here; that production environments should be built mostly from scratch instead of using Foundation's stuff?

Also, I noticed that app.scss in the zurb template still has entries such as:

@include foundation-visibility-classes;

I thought those go away now, becoming something like @include foundation-prototype-text-utilities instead? Or am I misunderstanding everything?

Rafi Benkual over 2 years ago

The prototyping utilities are the new features in 6.4 that are optional and part of this separation from core. Visibility classes are still core along with everything else that was core in 6.3.1.

Having the prototyping utils as mixins means we can use these without adding the extra CSS for classes.

Jeremy Reynolds over 2 years ago

Yep, totally get that, and makes sense. Just wondering what the ideal would be in your minds for prod...

...make new semantic classes using mixins and/or @extend rules?
...use original classes, but only @include the individual prototype components?
...use original classes when prototyping, but roll everything from scratch for production?

Also, what's the difference between something like the old @include foundation-visibility-classes; and the new @include foundation-prototype-display; in the new utilities?