Menu icon Foundation
How to update installation?

What's the easiest/safest way to overwrite my current installation of Foundation For Emails with the most recent "develop" branch? Do I simply "clone/download" the files in GitHub and overwrite my current files or will this mess up something? Is there a more efficient way via the command line? 

Updategithubdevelopemails

What's the easiest/safest way to overwrite my current installation of Foundation For Emails with the most recent "develop" branch? Do I simply "clone/download" the files in GitHub and overwrite my current files or will this mess up something? Is there a more efficient way via the command line? 

Corey Schaaf over 2 years ago

What version of Foundation For Emails are you using? 

What I normally do as a backup before I update: 

Copy my src folder and put it someplace safe. 

Then I use command line and run an npm update in the root of my project folder. npm update looks at everything in your package.json file. If there's a new vesion / bug fixes the dependencies in this file will update when you run the npm update cmd.  This updates everything in the node_modules folder with any new features. It will also update the _settings.scss file in case there are some new items that require new classes.  (this is why I said to make a copy of your src folder).  In some instances, I've customized items in the node_modules folder as well. If that's the case you will need to manually add those customization's back. 

I also like to head on over to the change log (I know this can be daunting - but once you take a moment to digest it - it's pretty easy to see what lines of code have changed). I use this while looking at the _settings.scss file. When new features come out, I copy the new lines of code into my original _settings.scss file. (Note you could do this vice versa as well - just depends on which one has more changes). For example if you've made lots of edits to your settings file, it will probably be easier for you to copy any new features into your existing _settings.scss file. 

If you choose not to make a copy of your src folder - all items like pages, images should remain in tact. I'm just overly cautious. 

Jim Welch over 2 years ago

Hi Corey. I believe I'm using version 2.2.1.

I was checking out FFE on GitHub and noticed some recent new commits on the develop branch that I wanted to update to. I'm new to GitHub, the CLI, and task managers so I wasn't sure the smartest way to update. I really appreciate your directions, including making a backup.

I noticed some interesting pull requests for things like adding "hollow" buttons and collapse classes, which I've manually added as a _fixes.scss file. I want to make sure I don't miss bug fixes and new features — what's the best way to watch for new pull requests so that I'm using the latest/greatest code?

Thanks!

Corey Schaaf over 2 years ago

I'm buy no means a Git expert. But what I normally do is look for features that are tagged to be added to the next release. I look at the lines of code that are modified and manually add them to my project.  

There are other ways of doing this. Like changing your package.json file to point on the code branch a person has done a pull request for.  Most of the time, I'm okay with waiting for the release, but it is nice grabbing some stuff earlier.