Menu icon Foundation
Which F6 sites version is the right one?

I am upgrading some F5 sites to F6 and aside from the fact that I prefer grunt (is there a grunt version?) there are three flavours out there:

1. foundation-sites. Builds to /_build and splatters docs everywhere. No run build command

2. foundation-sites-template. Builds to /css and /js. No run build

3. foundation-zurb-template. Builds to /dist. Has a run build command

What on earth is the intended difference here and which one should be used as a vanilla starter. 

I know I'm nearly 64 and being truly dim here but it's like these offerings are from wholly different teams and bear no relation to one another. I cannot even fathom why you would clutter any of them up with document compiling. When you are building for a system such as Silverstripe the templating functions are of no use and that will be true for most CMS.

I'm close to grafting the grunt system from F5 onto F6 but this seems (intuitively) like a backward step!!

sitessites versiongrunt v gulpgulp v grunt

I am upgrading some F5 sites to F6 and aside from the fact that I prefer grunt (is there a grunt version?) there are three flavours out there:

1. foundation-sites. Builds to /_build and splatters docs everywhere. No run build command

2. foundation-sites-template. Builds to /css and /js. No run build

3. foundation-zurb-template. Builds to /dist. Has a run build command

What on earth is the intended difference here and which one should be used as a vanilla starter. 

I know I'm nearly 64 and being truly dim here but it's like these offerings are from wholly different teams and bear no relation to one another. I cannot even fathom why you would clutter any of them up with document compiling. When you are building for a system such as Silverstripe the templating functions are of no use and that will be true for most CMS.

I'm close to grafting the grunt system from F5 onto F6 but this seems (intuitively) like a backward step!!

Rafi Benkual over 2 years ago

We have some quick videos that explain the differences and the setup.

https://youtu.be/3Uj74uJ3GSQ?list=PLJVWPVPk_D_0-LDRu8k29w-7ktRk_dJ5n

The sites-template is the basic build using Gulp and Gulp-sass. The build system here compiles Sass and is intended to add to another workflow or if you just need Sass.

The ZURB Template is the advanced build with more features. It has a production mode (npm run build) that optimizes your files for production.

BTW there are Yeomans that use Grunt to compile https://github.com/bassjobsen/generator-foundation6