Menu icon Foundation
What is the best method for keeping Foundation up to date?

This is partly a Foundation question, but I guess it's mainly a Github question. I want to take advantage of the fact that Foundation is hosted on Github so that I can easily pull down updates as they're released, and also push those updates to my projects built on Foundation.

I'm considering a few different approaches, one would be to fork the Foundation repo for each website project I have, and maintain those as forks or branches either locally or on Github. Or is that more trouble that it's worth? Is it even valuable to maintain that link between the master Foundation repo and my projects?

Thanks! 

foundation sitesGithub repomaintenance

This is partly a Foundation question, but I guess it's mainly a Github question. I want to take advantage of the fact that Foundation is hosted on Github so that I can easily pull down updates as they're released, and also push those updates to my projects built on Foundation.

I'm considering a few different approaches, one would be to fork the Foundation repo for each website project I have, and maintain those as forks or branches either locally or on Github. Or is that more trouble that it's worth? Is it even valuable to maintain that link between the master Foundation repo and my projects?

Thanks! 

This post has been closed. No new replies can be added.

Rafi Benkual over 2 years ago

You don't need to fork the Foundation repo, unless you are making Pull Requests to update Foundation itself.

If you create a project through the CLI or by cloning a template:

Sass only - https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites-template

ZURB Stack - https://github.com/zurb/foundation-zurb-template

Then you can update to the latest version by running bower update && npm update in the command line (make sure you are in the project)

This will update you to the latest point release. It will NOT overwrite your settings file. If new variable were added, the release notes will call the out so you can manually add them.