Menu icon Foundation
Difficulties with the framework

Hello everyone, I like SASS and Compass, very much, and I used to design my sites with Bootstrap, but because of Foundations SASS integration wanted to give it a try, but... im really lost.
When have not so much experience with a tool, look around at the work of someone else to see how to make a right aproach, but i have so much difficulties with this framework,
Looked a some of the case studies, but i really dont get how they get the framework work, also i see very dificult to override some styling to the foundation css, for example i wanted to change the body font size, and when change from 16px to 14px, the grid change, not only resizing the font, but the grid too..

Also it has too much variables that make so difficult to customize from the settings.scss, i need and advice

scss

Hello everyone, I like SASS and Compass, very much, and I used to design my sites with Bootstrap, but because of Foundations SASS integration wanted to give it a try, but... im really lost.
When have not so much experience with a tool, look around at the work of someone else to see how to make a right aproach, but i have so much difficulties with this framework,
Looked a some of the case studies, but i really dont get how they get the framework work, also i see very dificult to override some styling to the foundation css, for example i wanted to change the body font size, and when change from 16px to 14px, the grid change, not only resizing the font, but the grid too..

Also it has too much variables that make so difficult to customize from the settings.scss, i need and advice

Karl Ward about 5 years ago

What can I say? Foundation is initially frustrating, but if you want to stay on the cutting edge of web-design, you will need some patience getting through the first few tough weeks.

looked a some of the case studies, but i really dont get how they get the framework work

You cant get it to work at all? You could just start with the most basic template and see how the html structure is. Its quite straight forward.

also i see very dificult to override some styling to the foundation css, for example i wanted to change the body font size, and when change from 16px to 14px, the grid change, not only resizing the font, but the grid too.

Are you trying to change $rem-base: 16px;? You should probably be changing this $base-font-size: 100% instead ... I would perhaps not mess around too much with these.

Keep in mind, just because there are a lot of settings, does not mean you should be trying to design your website fro Foundation settings. Personally, I may have changed around 20 settings for a website, and left all the others commented out. I only change them when and if I am using a specific Foundation-module that I would like to customize.

Most of your design should be in your own sass/css, including styling for some of the Foundation elements.