Menu icon Foundation
Reveal (Modal), SEO and static page

Hi all,

I am experienced C/C++ developer but lately I've started working on some web application. I would first like to say thank you all very much! Foundation is great! It is well documented and works perfectly for me! So again, thank you all very much. I really appreciate it.

Here is my question:

I know there are no definite answers to many SEO questions but this is kind of specific question so I hope someone will have a clue: I realize that putting a lot of content in a Reveal (Modal) might hurt the SEO to some degree, but what if I do the following:

I am loading into the Reveal a static page using AJAX *and* I am adding the static link address to the <a> element, like this:

<p><a class="clicking-me-will-get-to-function" data-open="exampleModal1" href="http://site/exampleModal1">Click me for a modal</a></p>

OK, so I handle the click event with JQUERY and the "href" is never being used (I "prevent" the default and then open the modal).

However, if a search engine will load the content of the link it will get to the same page I'm loading with the AJAX.

The reason I want to do that is that I really like the modal user experience and not having to navigate out of the main page. Like Pinterest I guess, when you open a Pin, you are still in the main page and can click the close button and see the main page "under it".

Another way to ask my question is like that: I would like to use the Reveal container to present lots of different content on my website (like Pinterest) but I am also preparing the site for people who don't use JavaScript and they will use the static link to see the content in a new page.

Thank you again,

Yoav

revealmodalseoanchorstaticAJAX

Hi all,

I am experienced C/C++ developer but lately I've started working on some web application. I would first like to say thank you all very much! Foundation is great! It is well documented and works perfectly for me! So again, thank you all very much. I really appreciate it.

Here is my question:

I know there are no definite answers to many SEO questions but this is kind of specific question so I hope someone will have a clue: I realize that putting a lot of content in a Reveal (Modal) might hurt the SEO to some degree, but what if I do the following:

I am loading into the Reveal a static page using AJAX *and* I am adding the static link address to the <a> element, like this:

<p><a class="clicking-me-will-get-to-function" data-open="exampleModal1" href="http://site/exampleModal1">Click me for a modal</a></p>

OK, so I handle the click event with JQUERY and the "href" is never being used (I "prevent" the default and then open the modal).

However, if a search engine will load the content of the link it will get to the same page I'm loading with the AJAX.

The reason I want to do that is that I really like the modal user experience and not having to navigate out of the main page. Like Pinterest I guess, when you open a Pin, you are still in the main page and can click the close button and see the main page "under it".

Another way to ask my question is like that: I would like to use the Reveal container to present lots of different content on my website (like Pinterest) but I am also preparing the site for people who don't use JavaScript and they will use the static link to see the content in a new page.

Thank you again,

Yoav