Menu icon Foundation
Newbie question: normalize.css in Foundation 5

Hi, I'm totally new to Foundation and I downloaded the CSS version. I don't know how Sass works yet.

In the docs they say that this css vesion comes with normalize.css and in fact the file is there. But it is not included in the sample HTML, neither linked or imported from any other point of the code, as far as I can tell.

Is this normal? Why it s not used? Should I manually add it to my HTML pages?

Thanks.

normalize.csssetup

Hi, I'm totally new to Foundation and I downloaded the CSS version. I don't know how Sass works yet.

In the docs they say that this css vesion comes with normalize.css and in fact the file is there. But it is not included in the sample HTML, neither linked or imported from any other point of the code, as far as I can tell.

Is this normal? Why it s not used? Should I manually add it to my HTML pages?

Thanks.

This post has been closed. No new replies can be added.

Adam Clark over 5 years ago

It is a bit strange that it would not be linked up in the index.html file, but yes, you would need to add it just before the link to the foundation.css.

Rubén Santacruz over 5 years ago

Thanks, Adam. It should be clearly stated in the docs:

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/issues/3187

Going to report it via Github.

Eric Bishard over 5 years ago

It's not a bug. Although it is the preferred way of importing normalize when using SCSS in Rails. They made it available for convenience, but didn't include it in the generator since normalize is technically an optional add-on, not a dependancy.

This statement is from elm232 @github.

In your foundation overrides file you should do something like this:

@import 'normalize';
@import 'foundation';

The github link provided above gives some insight to this issue,

samjin over 5 years ago

I think have a cdn for normalize, modernizr, jquery2+ and foundation min would be better than loading from our own server, no?

Karl Ward over 5 years ago

If you are using Sass, I would simply import normalize.scss into your main stylesheet. Modernizr is a bit tricky, as you might need a custom build, but you could load it from cdnjs.com if you just want a vanilla version. I would load jQuery from Google CDN, since many visitors will have it cached from there. Ultimately, all your other JS script files should be concatenated and minified into a single JS file ...

Lynda Spangler over 5 years ago

I use the Vanilla CSS version in my projects and what I normally do is one CSS stylesheet with @import that looks something like this:

@import url('/css/normalize.css');
@import url('/css/foundation.css');
/* @import other external Stylesheets I may use such as Font Awesome */ 

/* Styles for my site and styles to override Foundation Styles Below: */

Once the site is ready to go live I will take this stylesheet and minify it as I won't be editing the styles that much once it is published.

Other than this Modernizr is loaded from my server and jQuery is loaded from Google CDN.