Menu icon Foundation
Email Footer Hidden in Vertical Response

I was trying to create an autoresponder, welcome email using the SASS version of Foundation Emails, v 1.0.0 in Vertical Response, through VR2.

After I setup the message, and submitted it for approval, VR rejected the message. The reason that they gave was that the render from their checkers found that the email footer, where the company address and unsubscribe links are, was hidden.

VR injects the footer immediately after the last element before the <body> tag (see below). I tried creating a test email using the default output from the /src/pages/index.html, and it was also rejected.

I analyzed the emails for both my welcome message and the default generated email that was sent through VR in Email on Acid. What I found was that, while the email footer was visible in almost all clients.

However, it appears that the footer doesn't show up on the following webmail services:

Comcast Chrome (Win)

Free.fr Chrome (Win)

Freenet.de Chrome (Win)

What shows up seems to be a white space below the content. I'm realizing that it's very difficult to test for these edge cases without having access to the 

<div style="white-space:nowrap;font:15px courier;line-height:0">
			&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
		</div>
		<table style="width:100%" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
			<tbody>
				<tr>
					<td width="100%">
						<div style="font-size:12px">
							<div>
								Company Name<br>
								XXXX XXXXXX XXX<br>
								XXXX, XXXXXXX XXXXX<br>
								<a href="tel:xxx-xxx-xxxx" value="+xxxxxxxxx" target="_blank">xxx-xxx-xxxx</a>
							</div>
						</div><br>
							<div>
								Update your <a>Email Preferences</a> or <a>Unsubscribe</a>
							</div>
						</div>
					</td>
				</tr>
			</tbody>
		</table>

vertical responselayoutfooter

I was trying to create an autoresponder, welcome email using the SASS version of Foundation Emails, v 1.0.0 in Vertical Response, through VR2.

After I setup the message, and submitted it for approval, VR rejected the message. The reason that they gave was that the render from their checkers found that the email footer, where the company address and unsubscribe links are, was hidden.

VR injects the footer immediately after the last element before the <body> tag (see below). I tried creating a test email using the default output from the /src/pages/index.html, and it was also rejected.

I analyzed the emails for both my welcome message and the default generated email that was sent through VR in Email on Acid. What I found was that, while the email footer was visible in almost all clients.

However, it appears that the footer doesn't show up on the following webmail services:

Comcast Chrome (Win)

Free.fr Chrome (Win)

Freenet.de Chrome (Win)

What shows up seems to be a white space below the content. I'm realizing that it's very difficult to test for these edge cases without having access to the 

<div style="white-space:nowrap;font:15px courier;line-height:0">
			&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
		</div>
		<table style="width:100%" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
			<tbody>
				<tr>
					<td width="100%">
							<div>
								Company Name<br>
								XXXX XXXXXX XXX<br>
								XXXX, XXXXXXX XXXXX<br>
								<a href="tel:xxx-xxx-xxxx" value="+xxxxxxxxx" target="_blank">xxx-xxx-xxxx</a>
							</div>
						</div><br>
							<div>
								Update your <a>Email Preferences</a> or <a>Unsubscribe</a>
							</div>
						</div>
					</td>
				</tr>
			</tbody>
		</table>

Corey Schaaf over 3 years ago

Are you using any kind of special tags that pull in the information that is XXX out? If you are, that could be the problem. 

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

@Corey - have you seen email service providers blocking specific content if it is flagged as inappropriate? I'd imagine the whole email gets moved to the spam bin.

@Takahiro - Where are you adding the footer? Is it showing up on any live (other than Litmus) email client? 

Corey Schaaf over 3 years ago

@rafi we haven't had any pieces of content getting removed. Usually if there's something inappropriate the whole message will (as you said) get moved to spam.  

For example, subject line "This is HUGE!".  Use of All Caps, using word HUGE in call caps will get flagged in 2 of the 7 major blacklist groups.  

But I've never seen whole chunks of information get removed. 

What I was suggesting was the email provider may be using tokens to pull in the information that he has as "XXXXX" placeholder copy in the screenshot example above. 

Takahiro Noguchi over 3 years ago

Sorry for the slow response, my hard drive crashed on Monday.

@Rafi the footer is showing up correctly in both desktop and mobile (android) gmail. Just to check, I signed up for an account with Freenet.de, one of the services where the footer seemed to be hidden in Email on Acid. The footer actually showed up fine--however the list items didn't. For some reason only the first list item appeared and the rest were cut off.

@Corey Vertical Response automatically includes the footer content from your account settings, I just added dummy content to respect my client's privacy 

I did try to send the same email to a small test list with the same exact code, and VR2 did send it without any issues. So this may only be an issue with their auto-responder email.