Menu icon Foundation
Updating F4E

How can I update en existing install of F4E?

Can I just pull the new version from git or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for the nub question.

Updateinkemails

How can I update en existing install of F4E?

Can I just pull the new version from git or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for the nub question.

Corey Schaaf about 3 years ago

The easiest thing to do is to update your package.json file in the root of your project folder.  Assuming you're on Foundation For Emails 2.1 and you want to upgrade to 2.2.1.  

"author": "ZURB <foundation@zurb.com>",
  "license": "MIT",
  "dependencies": {
    "foundation-emails": "2.2.1"  //--- this line right here!
  },

You would need to change your inky dependency to 1.3.6

"gulp-sass": "^2.1.0",
    "gulp-sourcemaps": "^1.6.0",
    "gulp-zip": "^3.2.0",
    "inky": "^1.3.6",   // <-- this line right here
    "lazypipe": "^1.0.1",
    "merge-stream": "^1.0.0",

Once you do that, make a copy of your existing src folder and save it somewhere. 

Open up command line as an administrator and navigate to the root of your project folder and run the following commands: 

npm update

Once that command has finished, copy the src folder you saved back into the new version. (this is just a safe guard and isn't something that is necessary - just a best practice I like to do). 

Once you've copied your original src folder back into the project, open your text editor and navigate to your project folder/src/assets/scss/app.scss

Inside this file change the line that says:

@import 'foundation';

to: 

@import 'foundation-emails';

After you've renamed the reference (the new version of foundation changed the name from foundation to foundation-emails so users could use foundation for sites / apps without conflicts)

Run this command inside the root of your project folder:

Foundation Build

Once the build completes, you should see your project build without any errors and the browsersyn server should launch.  Navigate to one of your pages localhost:3000/index.html or whatever folder structure you've setup in your pages file to get to the page you want to view. 

Hope you find this helpful~ 

Ian Daly about 3 years ago

That worked and only took about 5 minutes! Thanks Corey you are always coming through with helpful info regarding F4E.

Corey Schaaf about 3 years ago

Thanks Ian! I get help from lots of people on the Forums too. It's a really good place to teach as well as learn.