Just wanted to let you guys in on some issues we were having with our marketing emails. All emails are rendering and acting as they should. The only thing that we are experiencing are emails getting clipped which we believe is also causing some deliver-ability issues along with being marked as spam.
Gmail and yahoo both have a pretty rigid 102KB rule. If you're email is even 1KB over that number, Gmail will clip the message and an option to "view the entire message" depending on device shows. We noticed A significant dip in revenue for the first month of full use during our regular weekly sends as compared to previous months with the same amount of traffic and similar deals.
We initially tested our responsive template in emails via Shopping Cart Abandonment Funnel, Life Cycle (30,60,90,180,365 days after purchase and review your purchase emails). All of those emails are performing much better than our previous non-responsive emails. Open rates were up, CTR was up and conversions were up. The opens and deliver-ability were not affected. After going back and looking at file size of those emails, I believe the reason is they were all under the 102KB threshold. Image size did not play a role in any message being clipped. Only the final output size of the HTML.
Based on that information, I setup a spreadsheet of our emails from pre-responsive and post-responsive.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12sM5hNwW7E0ifCsgD-zEk7RzS2TmsMBACpxaMYKjLto/edit?usp=sharing What I've noticed is the email provider we use (Listrak) doe not appear to be using a minified version of our file. Or, after gmail restructures the URL and re-writes the image path, all the columns, tabs and spaces are added back to the file (still trying to track that). The reason I believe it's the latter (please refer to column F title Prod Non-min in the document above) is because when I clicked the view in browser link and viewed the source code; of the emails that were clipped (highlighted in red) all of those file sizes were over the 102KB threshold.
As a test, I viewed the code that gmail generated with tracking urls and made a minified version of that file to see what the file size was. In every test the file size only increased on average between 3-6KB which would account for the tracking urls and re-writing for proxy images. Based on that file size I would have assumed that only 1 of my emails would have been clipped. (Refer to column E lines 4,5,13,15, 16, 23 and 24). However, those emails were in fact clipped which lead me to my original theory (Gmail isn't using a minified version of the file or my esp isn't).
The foundation framework is really good, my only complaint and warning to others would be to double check your file size and not to assume that the minified version you are using is actually being used by your ESP or by the email clients such as yahoo and google.
Also, as a result of emails being clipped, the open rates dropped. We believe (and are testing this theory) that if an email is above 102KB, in addition to some messages getting the clipped message, it is likely the message is being flagged as spam. This would account for opens dropping, CTR dropping, revenue dropping but conversions improving. This means that the people who are are getting/seeing the responsive version are giving us the results we expected and want, We now have to make sure the emails are ending up in the inbox and not being blocked by spam or not being delivered at all (I'm talking to you COMCAST!).
We're doing another send this morning and plan to monitor the opens on that email since we know it is below the 102KB threshold. It's being sent to about 450,000 people.