Menu icon Foundation
Responsive Design or not?

Just have a question regarding responsive design.

When creating a web site / app using either FS or FA or other frameworks, and you want to target both desktop and mobile devices, is it a good idea to hide features or information depending on the device the browser is running on.

eg.

Lets say I have a feature showing a big datagrid. When the web app is running on a desktop (browser width is large) the feature with the big datagrid is enabled in the menu, and user has access to it. However when the browser width is small (mobile) I hide this feature, so a mobile user has no access to it (as the big datagrid is inappropriate for mobile view). Is this common to do or bad practice (bad use of responsive web design)? Would it be better to drop responsive design and instead make a separate mobile site and web site, one written for mobile and the other for desktop?

Appreciate any comments on this.

Foundation for Sitesfoundation for appsresponsive design

Just have a question regarding responsive design.

When creating a web site / app using either FS or FA or other frameworks, and you want to target both desktop and mobile devices, is it a good idea to hide features or information depending on the device the browser is running on.

eg.

Lets say I have a feature showing a big datagrid. When the web app is running on a desktop (browser width is large) the feature with the big datagrid is enabled in the menu, and user has access to it. However when the browser width is small (mobile) I hide this feature, so a mobile user has no access to it (as the big datagrid is inappropriate for mobile view). Is this common to do or bad practice (bad use of responsive web design)? Would it be better to drop responsive design and instead make a separate mobile site and web site, one written for mobile and the other for desktop?

Appreciate any comments on this.

Jeremy Englert over 3 years ago

Would it be better to drop responsive design and instead make a separate mobile site and web site, one written for mobile and the other for desktop?

This issue would still exist though - as the datagrid isn't mobile friendly.

While it's far from an ideal situation, it may be worth keeping the page and displaying a message along the lines of "This data isn't available on mobile devices, please try again on a desktop device."

That prevents users from becoming frustrated by not being able to find the information.