Menu icon Foundation
What is the best backend to use

Hi guys,

I'm new to foundation and foundation for apps, but am loving it so far.

I've been prototyping a bit of my webapps design and pages in foundation and I'm up to the stage where I need to get the backend up and running (database and stuff for dynamic content and user accounts etc.)

I'm wondering what everyone else is using as there backend, I'm open to using anything that fits my needs. I couldn't really find much information on this when I was searching. I know foundation is only a front end library, but every web app needs a backend.

So what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Lucas

Databasebackendwebapp

Hi guys,

I'm new to foundation and foundation for apps, but am loving it so far.

I've been prototyping a bit of my webapps design and pages in foundation and I'm up to the stage where I need to get the backend up and running (database and stuff for dynamic content and user accounts etc.)

I'm wondering what everyone else is using as there backend, I'm open to using anything that fits my needs. I couldn't really find much information on this when I was searching. I know foundation is only a front end library, but every web app needs a backend.

So what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Lucas

Vladimir over 3 years ago

@Lucas OK I will write here since I can not find anything using search on forum (it keeps showing first results from 2 years ... stupid sorting)

1) 

composer create-project --prefer-dist laravel/laravel project

instead project enter name of your project

2) this is optional if you already have gulp skip it 

npm install --global gulp

3)

npm install

4) since bootstrap is installed by default (shame on you Zurb :) ) you need to remove it

npm re bootstrap -sass --save

5) now we install Foundation6 (one step too many Zurb :) ) 

npm install foundation-sites --save

6) if you need motion ui do this step if not skip it 

npm install motion-ui --save

And that is it. You need only to generate key for Laravel

php artisan key:generate

Make sure that 2 folders are writable on server (you have it all under installation part on Laravel website HERE) and you are ready to code. I will post here my gulp file (you can copy/paste it entire I think it will work on your machine without any change)

var elixir = require('laravel-elixir');

/*
 |--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 | Elixir Asset Management
 |--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 |
 | Elixir provides a clean, fluent API for defining some basic Gulp tasks
 | for your Laravel application. By default, we are compiling the Sass
 | file for our application, as well as publishing vendor resources.
 |
 */

elixir(function(mix) {
    // Sass
    var options = {
        includePaths: [
            'node_modules/foundation-sites/scss',
            'node_modules/motion-ui/src'
        ]
    };

mix.sass('app.scss', null, options);

// Javascript
    var jQuery = '../../../node_modules/jquery/dist/jquery.js';
    var foundation6 = '../../../node_modules/foundation-sites/dist/foundation.js';

mix.babel([
        jQuery,
        foundation6
    ]);

});

And you can push this on git/bitbucket or wherever you want and git clone for every other project you start from begining.

@Lucas I can explain you (and you can find topic on forum where I did explained how) how to integrate F6 into Laravel (6 simple steps, used composer and npm) and after that only thing left is to run gulp watch. But this is for Laravel, other FW I didn't used.

@Lucas you are using composer and npm?

Brian Tan over 3 years ago

Hi Lucas

I think php with PDO and mysql / postgresql is simple to setup and use.

Some may prefer some kind of php framework that "integrates" with Foundation.

@Lucas Laravel user for few years. Easy to integrate, easy to work (for me that is)

Lucas Fraser over 3 years ago

Thanks for the replys :)

Any advice on how to integrate this into my development workflow? Currenty I just have the foundation folder whilst running the 

foundation watch

command on the directory.

Is there a recommended way to get this foundation stuff being compiled and served by a web server that supports PHP? 

I'm just a bit unsure as to how to go about it as a whole, I know how to get the php and web server running, but how do I lay out the files within it for foundation.

Also, when coding in PHP, would I replace my "template" html files (in the template dir) with my php based templates?

Thanks

Thanks Vladimir,

If I could have a link to the post that would be awesome. I was thinking about using Laravel anyway so that would be awesome.

Thanks again

Yes I am

Thanks so much Vladimir, Very helpful!.

I look forward to developing with foundation!

M. Izzuddin al Fikri over 3 years ago

Hi Vladimir and Lucas,

Great post! I've few hours looking for this (Laravel + Foundation 6) and finally get this thread.

But, may I ask @Vladimir??

How if I wanna use Foundation for Apps? Is the 5th step just replace with Foundation for Apps installation command?

Thanks

Brian about 3 years ago

Firebase is also a great option.  Check out the Firebase Template to get started!

Sorry but I didn't tried it in Foundation for apps