Menu icon Foundation
Sass Config on New Foundation Project Using Existing Project as Code Source

I created and deployed a Foundation 5 project and used Sass whereby when I edited the s_settings.scss file a process called Compass Watch that I ran in the Mac terminal would automatically compile those changes and create a new app.css that when published to the server would incorporate the desired css changes. This project was very complex including a custom developed e-commerce module that took some time to get all of the components working together, particularly for IE9 support.

Here's my question. I want to take this exact code base and start another project that will be customized and deployed to a different domain. Rather than create a new foundation project, I want to use all of these existing files whereby we have resolved many issues that would resurface if I started from scratch. 

I can edit the copied _settings.scss file in the new directory where the copied project will be. But the part that Compass Watch formerly performed does not work in this new directory. So, how do I setup/configure Sass so that I can get it working on the new project?

FYI looked at Foundation 6 and how much easier Sass config is in there but I don't have the resources or time to go through an upgrade of this project at this time.

Thanks for your help!

SassFoundation 5configuration

I created and deployed a Foundation 5 project and used Sass whereby when I edited the s_settings.scss file a process called Compass Watch that I ran in the Mac terminal would automatically compile those changes and create a new app.css that when published to the server would incorporate the desired css changes. This project was very complex including a custom developed e-commerce module that took some time to get all of the components working together, particularly for IE9 support.

Here's my question. I want to take this exact code base and start another project that will be customized and deployed to a different domain. Rather than create a new foundation project, I want to use all of these existing files whereby we have resolved many issues that would resurface if I started from scratch. 

I can edit the copied _settings.scss file in the new directory where the copied project will be. But the part that Compass Watch formerly performed does not work in this new directory. So, how do I setup/configure Sass so that I can get it working on the new project?

FYI looked at Foundation 6 and how much easier Sass config is in there but I don't have the resources or time to go through an upgrade of this project at this time.

Thanks for your help!

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Good question! Have you considered copying the project and just paste in a fresh settings file? That may be easier.

The config.rb file handles all file paths in Compass https://github.com/zurb/foundation-compass-template/blob/master/config.rb

James Van Waza over 3 years ago

@Rafi, since Compass is no longer being supported, @Jay, can post the gruntfile, and I can assist in removing compass.