Menu icon Foundation
Too Many jquery files?

I have to support a site on our intranet that is constrained to IE8 (not my choice and nothing I can do about that choice). The overall site uses frames (also not my choice) and our little "corner" was given permission to break away and use Foundation 5 so we could at least use SOME features of more modern browsers. I have this thing shived, shimmed, modernized, remmed, and responded out the wazoo. For the most part things are going well. That said, when I started I was new to Foundation, HTML5 and CSS3. I'm now going back and trying to clean up what I didn't understand. I am having issues with one html file that will ONLY open from my main html page if I set it to open in a different browser window. I prefer my html pages to open inside the main viewing area due to login timeout issues otherwise. I THINK the problem is a jquery conflict. I have multiple versions of jquery in my head as well as one at the end right before body close. I use accordion on both the main page and the page that is opening in different browser. If I remove one of the jquery files, I can get the page to open in the same browser window - but accordion breaks. If I remove the other, accordion breaks AND I have to open the page in a different window. I currently have jquery-1.11.3.min.js in the head of my page and jquery.js (v 2.1.3) at the end of the page. Is there a way to make them play nice together?

javascriptjquery

I have to support a site on our intranet that is constrained to IE8 (not my choice and nothing I can do about that choice). The overall site uses frames (also not my choice) and our little "corner" was given permission to break away and use Foundation 5 so we could at least use SOME features of more modern browsers. I have this thing shived, shimmed, modernized, remmed, and responded out the wazoo. For the most part things are going well. That said, when I started I was new to Foundation, HTML5 and CSS3. I'm now going back and trying to clean up what I didn't understand. I am having issues with one html file that will ONLY open from my main html page if I set it to open in a different browser window. I prefer my html pages to open inside the main viewing area due to login timeout issues otherwise. I THINK the problem is a jquery conflict. I have multiple versions of jquery in my head as well as one at the end right before body close. I use accordion on both the main page and the page that is opening in different browser. If I remove one of the jquery files, I can get the page to open in the same browser window - but accordion breaks. If I remove the other, accordion breaks AND I have to open the page in a different window. I currently have jquery-1.11.3.min.js in the head of my page and jquery.js (v 2.1.3) at the end of the page. Is there a way to make them play nice together?

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Wow Sherry, that sounds like it was quite a lot to support IE8. Is this for a government site?

I've heard of loading 2 versions of jQuery with no.conflict mode: https://forum.jquery.com/topic/multiple-versions-of-jquery-on-the-same-page

Sherry Bradford over 3 years ago

LOL - no, we are a huge, modern airline and it is our corporate intranet for employees. There are hopes it will move off IE8 in the next year, but in the meantime this one particular "corner" of the intranet was redesigned to take advantage of whatever we could squeeze out of IE8. To add to the overall dilemma, we are built on frames as well. Foundation was a godsend in the effort to redesign this section and we get lots of compliments on usability.

Thank you for the post and I'll read up on the no.conflict mode info you provided and see if we can get past this one issue. I did learn the other day that IBM frames and IE8 have trouble with allowing links to open inside the page as you descend further into the navigation structure. The individual explaining this didn't have much detail to share, so I'm going to test out the no.conflict first. If that doesn't work, I'll investigate the nav level further.

I'm going to be so well trained on how to overcome IE8 issues that I fear I will never really get to enjoy working in a truly modern browser! Sigh.....