Menu icon Foundation
I am learning Foundation and get very confused

I implemented a couple of websites 10 years ago. Know html, javascript, jsp, java, ant ... quite well.

What I am trying to do is to write a website like craigslist.com -- clients can create posts, people can reply to the posts. Also, I would like to have chat rooms.

Since it's now the cell phone age, I would also like the website works for whatever cell phone platforms -- at least iPhone & android phones.

So html5 seems to be a good choice, and foundation framework seems to be convenient. However, when I downloaded and tried to use foundation 6, I got so confused after trying a few tutorials and reading some documents. In particular, I have at the following questions:

* What is Foundation for Sites & What is Foundation for Web Apps? Isn't every website these days client-server based?

* Why do I need Yeti? Is it something similar to ant? I have Tomcat apache web server installed on my power mac.

* How can I get the various templates from Foundation? What is the "mother" index.html that one can modify from?

* There is no "html" link any more on the template page. There is only "Download" & "Demo", while the former does not download anything but leads you to a new webpage with the underlying layout, & the latter basically does the same as the former as far as I can see. I can "save as" the webpage (& thus the code) to my local directory, but how if there is associated directories (such as "image/")?

* What actually does Yeti do? How to modify the templates Yeti offers?

There are so many questions, but these are the big ones.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

beginnercraigslist

I implemented a couple of websites 10 years ago. Know html, javascript, jsp, java, ant ... quite well.

What I am trying to do is to write a website like craigslist.com -- clients can create posts, people can reply to the posts. Also, I would like to have chat rooms.

Since it's now the cell phone age, I would also like the website works for whatever cell phone platforms -- at least iPhone & android phones.

So html5 seems to be a good choice, and foundation framework seems to be convenient. However, when I downloaded and tried to use foundation 6, I got so confused after trying a few tutorials and reading some documents. In particular, I have at the following questions:

* What is Foundation for Sites & What is Foundation for Web Apps? Isn't every website these days client-server based?

* Why do I need Yeti? Is it something similar to ant? I have Tomcat apache web server installed on my power mac.

* How can I get the various templates from Foundation? What is the "mother" index.html that one can modify from?

* There is no "html" link any more on the template page. There is only "Download" & "Demo", while the former does not download anything but leads you to a new webpage with the underlying layout, & the latter basically does the same as the former as far as I can see. I can "save as" the webpage (& thus the code) to my local directory, but how if there is associated directories (such as "image/")?

* What actually does Yeti do? How to modify the templates Yeti offers?

There are so many questions, but these are the big ones.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Hi Mousheng,
Some good questions I can help clear up for you.

If you're building something like Craigslist, it's a website with some app like features (login, account management, form submission, CMS, and a data-base).

Given that, you might build on Foundation for Sites with something like WordPress or another CMS.

The difference between Foundation Apps and Sites from our FAQ

Foundation for Sites helps you build responsive websites like marketing sites, e-commerce, government, portfolios and more.

Foundation for Apps was created to help people build responsive web apps. These are more complex software applications that utilize Angular to create stateful transitions and interactions. Foundation for Apps has a grid designed to create full screen app experiences and components created to give a more native feeling to apps.

9. When would I use Foundation for Apps instead of Sites?
An ideal scenario would be using Foundation for Apps when you want a more native feeling for an app that will live online. Foundation for Apps is a great tool to create more complex and full screen app layouts that use custom transitions and states. For more simple apps, or ones where browser support in a concern Foundation for Sites is still a powerful tool.

You really could use Foundation for Sites and add a database.

Yeti Launch help people create Sass projects without the time consuming setup of Sass and build systems and removes the complications. You don't need another server like Apache to run Foundation 6 because it runs it's own server with Gulp.

You can use Yeti Launch to create the project and run the Sass watching. Editing HTML, CSS, and JS works the same as in any project.

You can get the templates here:
http://foundation.zurb.com/templates.html

If you download the html file, you can copy the contents within the body tags into your project. Download a CSS project here: http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/download.html/

It's common to have a lot of questions at first, especially because modern web development has gotten more complex (but also better). Things start to make sense pretty quickly so keep asking questions! We're here to help you along the way as you make great sites!

Stephen Martin over 3 years ago

If it's been 10 years since you've developed a site, your knowledge is in need of an update. You may find it easier to try youtube. Search for "what is sass" and "what is foundation 6" for starters. This will get you up to speed on the technology you want to use but have questions about. Then search for Foundation 6 tutorials.

Mousheng over 3 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help, Rafi. Your reply is very helpful.

True that a Craigslist is desired, but I would like it to be visited from cell phones more than from desktops, so would Foundation for Apps be a little better? It seems that's why there is Foundation for Apps besides Foundation for Sites?

Thanks again.

Mousheng over 3 years ago

Also, there are Templates, and there are blocks! What are the differences?

Thanks.

John Stephanites over 3 years ago

Great questions I had the same ones when I found Zurb which by the way I freaking love. Way way better than Booties. I am new to SASS and found foundation searching for answers on how to get it compiled. All the things I tried and this just does it. Why haven't I heard of Foundation before Booties is what I want to know! Thanks for the answer Rafi.