Menu icon Foundation
how to extend background color to full browser width

Apologies for utter newbie nature of this question - but please help if you've got time! How do I create a section style that will extend the background colour to the full width of the browser? I'm sure its just a simple bit of CSS , and I'm quie new to this, just workking it out as I go along, so any suggestions would be really helpful.
thank you

background-colorcssmax-widthF6

Apologies for utter newbie nature of this question - but please help if you've got time! How do I create a section style that will extend the background colour to the full width of the browser? I'm sure its just a simple bit of CSS , and I'm quie new to this, just workking it out as I go along, so any suggestions would be really helpful.
thank you

Travis Fulton almost 4 years ago

Just wrap another div around .row and apply a background color to that.

Inspect the first section with a green background that says, "Banking for Innovation" under the main image on this site:
https://innovation.firstrepublic.com/

You'll see that I have .bg-green wrapped around a .row with just a background set.
You may have something else going on if this isn't immediately working for you. Do you have your project up anywhere?

Yeah, it's just hard not seeing the code/site itself. Sounds like there's some extra div that's wrapping the footer that has a width applied to it. Make sure that the footer is truly on it's own.

Hmmm, are you using Foundation 6 with all the partials stuff? Sounds fishy that the 'stray' closing div would fix it and not break anything else if it really were a stray. By the way, the
HTML
</div>

doesn't show on this forum post, but does on Outlook (which is how I know what you're talking about.)

Grab the source of the page (the final code that gets generated) and run it through https://validator.w3.org/ with and without the stray. That will tell you for sure if it belongs there or not. If you're on a mac in Chrome opt+cmd+u will bring up the source code.

Good luck!

Max Drake almost 4 years ago

Yes!!! Thank you...
I found a coding error when I ran it through the validator :

<div class="clearfix" />

whereas it should have been:

<div class="clearfix"></div>

Rafi Benkual almost 4 years ago

@Travis Fulton Great suggestions!

@Max Drake Glad you got it! Make sure to hit the "helpful" button when people help you :)

Thanks Travis, I get that. But how would I style that div?
My CSS presently looks like this:
.green-bg {
background-color: #B7CBC1;
width: 100%; }

.green {
padding-left: 1rem; }
.green h3 {
font-size: 1.0rem;
text-transform: uppercase;
text-color: #FFF6D5;
text-shadow: 0px 1px 0px #FFF6D5;
border-bottom: 2px;
border-color: #FFF6D5; }
.green h3 a {
text-color: #00371D; }
the html is this:

```

But the background colour is still not extending to full screen width

Thanks Travis. That hasn't really helped me though, and unfortunately I don't have the project up anywhere as am just prototyping locally at the moment.
I just can't seem to work it out with Foundation. To get my footer spreading right across the full width I've resorted to using the top-bar class, but don't want to have to use that the whole time just to get the background colour to spread to full screen width.

That's weird.
I just put a stray closing div before the section that I was trying to style, and the the background color setting now works. The stray closing divis genuinely stray, doesn't relate to anything.