Menu icon Foundation
Foundation for Apps, Foundation for Sites... foundation for confusion

I've heard great things about Foundation and am very interested in using it for client projects, but this Foundation for Sites/Apps split is confusing to an outsider and, frankly, makes me wary to make a commitment of time to learn it.

Depending on where I am on the zurb.com web site, I get different pictures of where things stand, what the roadmap is, etc, and it seems a little clouded in marketing-speak and almost even seems like there's disagreement within Zurb what's what.

But I think, under it all, is that the fundamental difference is that Foundation for Apps is based on AngularJS, and Foundation for Sites is not.

Is that a reasonable summary?

sitesappsconfusionroadmap

I've heard great things about Foundation and am very interested in using it for client projects, but this Foundation for Sites/Apps split is confusing to an outsider and, frankly, makes me wary to make a commitment of time to learn it.

Depending on where I am on the zurb.com web site, I get different pictures of where things stand, what the roadmap is, etc, and it seems a little clouded in marketing-speak and almost even seems like there's disagreement within Zurb what's what.

But I think, under it all, is that the fundamental difference is that Foundation for Apps is based on AngularJS, and Foundation for Sites is not.

Is that a reasonable summary?

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Denis,
Good question! It's quite a bit more than that. Foundation for Apps was created with the intention to give people a framework to build web applications. The grid is specifically tailored to create web app/software like screens with user states and views. The UI is also uniquely tailored to an app.

Angular definitely makes that happen and we built in a way that even if you don't know any Angular, you could build a working app or prototype that can convey concepts better than an Omnigraffle or Sketch mockup can. The difference are a bit more apparent after using it because some concepts are tricky to explain on the site.

Looking ahead, we see a case for making Foundation for Sites UI components better integrated with the Apps framework since many of the translate over well.

Does that make more sense?