Menu icon Foundation
Upgrade Yeti Launch

Can the devs please confirm whether the Yeti Launch tools has been updated to v6.1.1?

Bear in mind that for new users to stuff like Sass, etc, this tool is potentially awesome although I am not sure the full potential is clear to the devs as one keeps seeing advice to run "Bower Update".

Anyway, is it updated, and if not, what is the ETA for that?

Update: Dowloaded Yeti today, 26 December, and it still only has v6.0.3. Also, the actual download links on this site for foundation link to an out of date package.

Not good!

yetiyeti launch

Can the devs please confirm whether the Yeti Launch tools has been updated to v6.1.1?

Bear in mind that for new users to stuff like Sass, etc, this tool is potentially awesome although I am not sure the full potential is clear to the devs as one keeps seeing advice to run "Bower Update".

Anyway, is it updated, and if not, what is the ETA for that?

Update: Dowloaded Yeti today, 26 December, and it still only has v6.0.3. Also, the actual download links on this site for foundation link to an out of date package.

Not good!

Dayo almost 4 years ago

Here is how I upgraded to a current version of Foundation_Sites manually.

1. From the project page on Github: https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases, I downloaded and unpacked the lastest zip (v6.1.1 as at today, 29 Dec 2015).

2. Spun up a new project using Yeti Launch called "FoundationUpdate".

3. Went into the unpacked zip from Github and copied the following:

• "dist" folder
    • "js" folder
    • "scss" folder
    • "LICENSE" file
    • "README.md" file
  4. Went into the "FoundationUpdate/bower_components/foundation_sites" folder, pasted these here and overwrote existing files.

5. Opened the "FoundationUpdate/bower.json" file and changed the version of "foundation_sites"for my records.

6. Updated my "FoundationUpdate/src/assets/scss" folder with the version from "https://github.com/zurb/foundation-zurb-template/tree/master/src/assets"

At this point, that particular project was using the updated Foundation when I stopped and restarted the project in Yeti Launch.

To be able to use this for future projects ...

1. I copied my "FoundationUpdate/bower_components/foundation_sites" folder

2. In finder, went into where I installed Yeti Launch, right clicked on the icon and selected "Show Package Contents"

3. In the window that came up, went to "Contents/Resources/app/projects/advanced/bower_components" and replaced the "foundation_sites" folder and did the same for the "foundation_sites" folder in "Contents/Resources/app/projects/basic/bower_components".

4. Updated the "scss" folders for both "Contents/Resources/app/projects/advanced/src/assets" and "Contents/Resources/app/projects/basic/src/assets"

Good to Go!

Dayo almost 4 years ago

If like me, you were just using Yeti Launch without node, npm and all that stuff, seems the ride has come to an end if you want to go to v6.2.0 and you have to install node/npm.

Turns out it is a breeze as long as you use Homebrew on your Mac to do this. I used https://changelog.com/install-node-js-with-homebrew-on-os-x/

Caveat, if you want to update stuff with "npm update npm -g", you need to be logged in as root/admin.

With that in place, to update to v6.2.0, you can follow the same steps as above with the following additions after updating the "FoundationUpdate/src/assets/scss" folder (Step 6):

A. Open "FoundationUpdate/bower_components/jquery/dist/jquery.js" and "FoundationUpdate/bower_components/jquery/dist/jquery.min.js" and overwrite with the contents of "http://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.0.js" and "http://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.0.min.js" respectively.

I suppose there is a "bower-update" command that can be run somewhere.

B. Update the version number in "FoundationUpdate/bower.json"

C. Update the Foundation version number to 6.2.0 and the jquery to 2.2.0 in "FoundationUpdate/bower_components/foundation-sites/bower.json"

D. Install Babel with:

npm install --save-dev gulp-babel babel-preset-es2015

E. Open "FoundationUpdate/gulpfile.js" and modify

return gulp.src(PATHS.javascript)
    .pipe($.sourcemaps.init())
    .pipe($.concat('app.js'))

to ...

.pipe(babel({
      babelrc: false,
      compact: false,
    plugins: [
      "transform-es2015-arrow-functions",
        "transform-es2015-block-scoped-functions",
          "transform-es2015-block-scoping",
        "transform-es2015-classes",
        "transform-es2015-destructuring",
        "transform-es2015-template-literals",
        "transform-es2015-parameters",
      "transform-es2015-shorthand-properties",
        "transform-es2015-spread",
            ["transform-es2015-modules-commonjs", {
              allowTopLevelThis: true
            }]
          ]
    }))

Alternatively, you can amend to ...

.pipe(babel())

as long as you navigate to your "FoundationUpdate" folder in terminal and run ...

$ echo '{"plugins": [ "transform-es2015-arrow-functions", "transform-es2015-block-scoped-functions", "transform-es2015-block-scoping", "transform-es2015-classes", "transform-es2015-destructuring", "transform-es2015-template-literals", "transform-es2015-parameters", "transform-es2015-shorthand-properties", "transform-es2015-spread", ["transform-es2015-modules-commonjs", { "allowTopLevelThis": true }] ], "compact": false}' > .babelrc

I decided to skip the .babelrc file and put the command directly in my gulp file in order to be able to more easily update the template in the package contents folder.

Hey ZURB Devs! I am sure you are choking on your skinny lattes as you read this but since you have not sorted out a proper update and some of us love Yeti Launch so much, you leave us no choice but to start hacking.

Rafi Benkual almost 4 years ago

Glad you love Yeti Launch! Seems like you already have a dev environment so wondering why you started using it?

Yeti Launch has many updates in pipeline including auto-updating. Running Bower Update in the project works, though we get that it's not the intended update functionality for a GUI. We don't have a solid date for this yet but looking to get more updates out in April or May.

Jean-Pol Dupont almost 4 years ago

Please put a note in the doc to say YETI is outdated. Actually (29 fev 16, after 6.2) : 6.0.3 foundation.

Dayo almost 4 years ago

Hi Rafi,
I only installed Node & NPM because of the F6.2.0 requirement for babel and didn't have these before when I started using Yeti Launch.

Jean,
Agree ZURB should really put a note on the Yeti Launch page stating which Foundation version it comes with.

Andrew Cetnarskyj almost 4 years ago

Having the same issue, love Yeti for mocking sites up but loads of bugs I've noticed with out of date foundation that have been fixed in 6.2

Anyway to update it easily without the steps above?

Brandon E.B. Ward over 3 years ago

Was frankly stupified to find that Yeti Launch I downloaded contained an incredibly old version of Foundation, and it'd be simpler to update if I'd been using the command line. Swing and a miss on this one guys.

Andrew Cetnarskyj over 3 years ago

Yeah Zurb is usually so slick, wonder why this is missed.

The version I have has 6.0 and there is bugs in some of the stuff that has since been fixed.

Bryce Kirk over 3 years ago

@Dayo

Your copy+paste method worked perfectly to upgrade foundation to 6.2.1

I'd been looking everywhere for that process, thank you!!!

Daniel Collings over 3 years ago

The copy+paste method works however on restart Yeti Launch fails and spits out:

$ gulp-autoprefixer: installed: 2.3.1, expected: ^3.1.0
$ Invoke npm install to install missing packages
$ foundation-sites: installed: 6.0.3, expected: ~6.2.0
$ motion-ui: installed: 1.1.0, expected: ~1.2.2
$ Invoke bower install to install missing packages

If I run npm install it just hangs and does nothing. 

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Bryce Kirk over 3 years ago

To avoid that error, this is what works for me:

Update foundation-sites version number here to 6.2.1:

FoundationUpdate/bower_components/foundation-sites/bower.json

and leave the version number here as is (~6.0.0 on mine):

FoundationUpdate/bower.json