Menu icon Foundation
Encountered BIG problem with Yeti

Hey everyone,

Hope your well and having a great holiday break. Unfortunately for me, I'm still working.

More unfortunately, I've encountered a problem using Yeti that I can only hope someone can help resolve.

To start, the Mac i'm using doesn't have Time Machine switched on or any other backup process. But, I haven't rebooted yet so hopefully that helps.

Here's the scenario of 'how' it happened.

1. I have a folder on my desktop called foundation-sites.
2. I used Yeti Launch to create a new project (thought i'd try it out).
3. There's now a new folder called [project name]. Inside that, is obviously all the front-end files.
4. After several days of work, I then needed to convert it in to a wordpress theme.
5. Stupidly, inside the [project name]'s folder, I created a new folder called 'wordpress'.
6. After about a week of work, it was finished. But I wanted to tidy it up a bit, by putting the front-end files into another folder. Intending to have 'front-end' and 'wordpress' subfolders. So I did that.

I then realised that Yeti folder structure would now be incorrect. So if I needed to tweak the CSS in the front-end version, I wouldn't be able to. So I headed over to Yeti to see if I could change the folder. Nope. I then clicked the 'reload' menu. And in front of my eyes, the [project name] folder and everything inside it just vanished. A complete houdini act.

I've searched everywhere using finder and spotlight, I've even looked in the Trash. And no where does any evidence of any work, exist. I would have at least expected the folders to be ignored instead of obliterated.

Luckily I still have the WP theme since I uploaded it. But it doesn't contain sass files since I don't put them in themes (something I'm reconsidering now). But if anyone knows of this issue, or has any information or knows how to retrieve the files it would be very much appreciated. Otherwise I'll need to painstakingly start again.

yeti launchsitesproblemhelp

Hey everyone,

Hope your well and having a great holiday break. Unfortunately for me, I'm still working.

More unfortunately, I've encountered a problem using Yeti that I can only hope someone can help resolve.

To start, the Mac i'm using doesn't have Time Machine switched on or any other backup process. But, I haven't rebooted yet so hopefully that helps.

Here's the scenario of 'how' it happened.

1. I have a folder on my desktop called foundation-sites.
2. I used Yeti Launch to create a new project (thought i'd try it out).
3. There's now a new folder called [project name]. Inside that, is obviously all the front-end files.
4. After several days of work, I then needed to convert it in to a wordpress theme.
5. Stupidly, inside the [project name]'s folder, I created a new folder called 'wordpress'.
6. After about a week of work, it was finished. But I wanted to tidy it up a bit, by putting the front-end files into another folder. Intending to have 'front-end' and 'wordpress' subfolders. So I did that.

I then realised that Yeti folder structure would now be incorrect. So if I needed to tweak the CSS in the front-end version, I wouldn't be able to. So I headed over to Yeti to see if I could change the folder. Nope. I then clicked the 'reload' menu. And in front of my eyes, the [project name] folder and everything inside it just vanished. A complete houdini act.

I've searched everywhere using finder and spotlight, I've even looked in the Trash. And no where does any evidence of any work, exist. I would have at least expected the folders to be ignored instead of obliterated.

Luckily I still have the WP theme since I uploaded it. But it doesn't contain sass files since I don't put them in themes (something I'm reconsidering now). But if anyone knows of this issue, or has any information or knows how to retrieve the files it would be very much appreciated. Otherwise I'll need to painstakingly start again.

Colin Marshall over 1 year ago

If you really need these files then don't do anything else on that computer that writes to the disk. Files remain on the drive after being deleted until the disk uses the space they take up when writing new files to the disk. Google "Mac file recovery" for further info.

PJLDesign over 1 year ago

Same thing happened to me. My computer froze while the gulpfile was still listening and i had to reboot. Lost ALL of my project files, custom SASS, jq, everything. Broke some furniture. Had to restart. How does file recovery help? You won't get the original filenames back.

ZURB please address this issue and at least create a Yeti-native backup function. I knew it was too good to be true...

P

fatwreck over 1 year ago

Oh man, I just came into work from the weekend and my whole project is gone.

I had a folder for creating a SilverStripe project then accidentally installed a new project through Yeti launch using the same folder name which installed in the existing folder. After weeding out that errant install continued on. A restart later and my original folder is nowhere to be found.

I had an old copy on my desktop so I only lost a few days work, but it's crazy that it doesn't just move it to the trash. Now I'm making daily backups to my desktop in fear the Yeti will strike again.