Menu icon Foundation
How to upgrade Foundation Sites 6.0 to 6.0.6 (latest)?

Hi,

In November, I generated a Foundation for Sites (basic, not zurb) 6.0 site... how do I update it? When I run the foundation-cli update command from within the root directory of the project, it doesn't do anything. If I want to update it manually, how can I generate a new project but point the cli to a different directory for its source?

Is there any other way to do this?

thank you.

Updateupgrade6.x

Hi,

In November, I generated a Foundation for Sites (basic, not zurb) 6.0 site... how do I update it? When I run the foundation-cli update command from within the root directory of the project, it doesn't do anything. If I want to update it manually, how can I generate a new project but point the cli to a different directory for its source?

Is there any other way to do this?

thank you.

Brian Tan almost 4 years ago

Try "bower update" in project root directory.

E. Smythe almost 4 years ago

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Here's the output I received for "bower update" in the project root:

$ bower update
bower motion-ui#~1.1.0          cached git://github.com/zurb/motion-ui.git#1.1.1
bower motion-ui#~1.1.0        validate 1.1.1 against git://github.com/zurb/motion-ui.git#~1.1.0
bower foundation-sites#~6.0.0   cached git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#6.0.6
bower foundation-sites#~6.0.0 validate 6.0.6 against git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#~6.0.0
bower owl#~1.3.2                cached git://github.com/OwlFonk/OwlCarousel.git#1.3.2
bower owl#~1.3.2              validate 1.3.2 against git://github.com/OwlFonk/OwlCarousel.git#~1.3.2
bower jquery#~2.1.4             cached git://github.com/jquery/jquery.git#2.1.4
bower jquery#~2.1.4           validate 2.1.4 against git://github.com/jquery/jquery.git#~2.1.4
bower what-input#~1.1.2         cached git://github.com/ten1seven/what-input.git#1.1.4
bower what-input#~1.1.2       validate 1.1.4 against git://github.com/ten1seven/what-input.git#~1.1.2

when I execute "git status" for my project, I don't see any changes. When I look at CHANGELOG.md, I still see the original changelog:

$ cat CHANGELOG.md
# Changelog

## Version 1.0 (November 19, 2015)

so I assume this isn't actually getting anything from the foundation github repo?

How do I know anything's been updated?

Thank you.

I also update bower.json:

{
  "name": "foundation-ssg",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "authors": [
    "ZURB <foundation@zurb.com>"
  ],
  "description": "Static site generator for Foundation for Sites.",
  "main": "gulpfile.js",
  "license": "MIT",
  "ignore": [
    "**/.*",
    "node_modules",
    "bower_components",
    "test",
    "tests"
  ],
  "dependencies": {
    "foundation-sites": "~6.0.6", // Changed from 6.0.0
    "motion-ui": "~1.1.0"
  },
  "private": true
}

then ran "bower update foundation-sites"... output was this:

bower foundation-sites#~6.0.6   cached git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#6.0.6
bower foundation-sites#~6.0.6 validate 6.0.6 against git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#~6.0.6
bower foundation-sites#~6.0.6  install foundation-sites#6.0.6

but the code (e.g. bower_components/foundation-sites/js/foundation.drilldown.js) hasn't been updated.

Brian Tan almost 4 years ago

Looks like you have 6.0.6. For 6.1.1, try

bower install foundation-sites ----- and select option 2

then check first few lines of bower_components/foundation-sites/dist/foundation.js

!function($) {
"use strict";

var FOUNDATION_VERSION = '6.1.1';

// Global Foundation object
// This is attached to the window, or used as a module for AMD/Browserify
var Foundation = {
  version: FOUNDATION_VERSION,

Nils Wiere almost 4 years ago

Hi there,

I got the same problem: No chance to bower update from Foundation 6.0.6 to the 6.1.2 branch. "Bower update" doesn't have any effect.

I tried it with the "bower install foundation-sites" command and it worked in the beginning, saying that I got 6.1.2. However, as soon as I start Yeti Launch it shows an error message "foundation-sites: installed: 6.1.2, expected: ~6.0.0. Invoke bower install to install missing packages". As soon as I enter "bower install" I get back to version 6.0.6.

Do you have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks and best,
Nils

Nils,

I ended up doing this. Sorry for the formatting problems in this post. I don't know why Zurb insists on using its own forum software.

1. Open bower.json. Change the dependency versions (foundation-sites and anything else in the "dependencies" json object) by finding the latest production tags at https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites, https://github.com/zurb/motion-ui, etc. So for example I have at the moment: "dependencies": { "foundation-sites": "~6.1.2", "motion-ui": "~1.2.0", "owl": "~1.3.2" },
  2. bower update --force foundation-sites

3. Confirm the update to your local bower_updates/ source directory. Go to github, compare two tags (the new one you just upgraded to and the previous one you were using) to find changes. Randomly choose a change and make sure it's in your local bower_updates/ directory. How to compare two tags on github: https://help.github.com/articles/comparing-commits-across-time/
    Example: https://github.com/zurb/motion-ui/compare/v1.1.1...v1.2.0

4. npm start build, as usual, to build your project with the updated source

HTH.

Arlan almost 3 years ago

What worked for me

Using Command Line (Terminal) (inside project directory)

“bower install foundation-sites”

select option, (for option 2 type “2”)

possible will have to update bower (“sudo npm i -g bower”)

————————————————————————————————————————

CHECK CURRENT VERSION

bower_components > foundation-sites > .bower.json ("version": "6.2.4")

bower_components > foundation-sites > js > foundation.core.js (var FOUNDATION_VERSION = '6.2.4')

bower_components > foundation-sites > dist > js > foundation.js ( var FOUNDATION_VERSION = '6.2.4')

bower_components > foundation-sites > dist > css > foundation.css (/** Version 6.2.4 */)

after updating Version should be 6.3.0

Arlan almost 3 years ago

What worked for me

Using Terminal (inside project directory)

“bower install foundation-sites”

select option, (for option 2 type “2”)

possible will have to update bower (“sudo nom i -g bower”)

————————————————————————————————————————

CHECK CURRENT VERSION

bower_components > foundation-sites > .bower.json ("version": "6.2.4")

bower_components > foundation-sites > js > foundation.core.js (var FOUNDATION_VERSION = '6.2.4')

bower_components > foundation-sites > dist > js > foundation.js ( var FOUNDATION_VERSION = '6.2.4')

bower_components > foundation-sites > dist > css > foundation.css (/** Version 6.2.4 */)

after updating Version should be 6.3.0