Menu icon Foundation
F6 Topbar Dropdown Animations

I have a standard JointsWP, updated to F6, and I'd like to get simple dropdown animations added onto the submenus. When you hover over a parent element, .has-submenu, I'd like it's subsequent dropdown to fade in and slide down by a few pixels to add effect.

Before, from Foundation 5:

ul li.has-dropdown {
    .dropdown {
        opacity: 0;
        transform: translate(0, -4px);
        transition: all 0.7s ease-in-out;
    }
    &:hover > .dropdown {
        opacity: 1;
        transform: translate(0, 0);
    }
}

But now, with Foundation 6, I can't seem to figure it out. Does not work the same way. I tried implementing Motion UI, but I have no idea how to integrate this with a menu walker.

class Topbar_Menu_Walker extends Walker_Nav_Menu {
    function start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array() ) {
	    $indent = str_repeat("\t", $depth);
	    $output .= "\n$indent<ul class=\"menu\">\n";
	}
}

Can anyone help out? I've no idea how to get this done.

foundation 6scssanimationtopbardropdowntopbarmotion-uimotionuitop-bardrop downanimationsFadeslide

I have a standard JointsWP, updated to F6, and I'd like to get simple dropdown animations added onto the submenus. When you hover over a parent element, .has-submenu, I'd like it's subsequent dropdown to fade in and slide down by a few pixels to add effect.

Before, from Foundation 5:

ul li.has-dropdown {
    .dropdown {
        opacity: 0;
        transform: translate(0, -4px);
    }
    &:hover > .dropdown {
        opacity: 1;
        transform: translate(0, 0);
    }
}

But now, with Foundation 6, I can't seem to figure it out. Does not work the same way. I tried implementing Motion UI, but I have no idea how to integrate this with a menu walker.

class Topbar_Menu_Walker extends Walker_Nav_Menu {
    function start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array() ) {
	    $indent = str_repeat("\t", $depth);
	    $output .= "\n$indent<ul class=\"menu\">\n";
	}
}

Can anyone help out? I've no idea how to get this done.

Marco Messa over 3 years ago

My solution is different, I hooked on show.zf.dropdownmenu and hide.zf.dropdownmenu events and edit css and animate dropdowns:

$('#primary-menu').on(
    'show.zf.dropdownmenu', function() {
      var dropdown = $(this).find('.is-dropdown-submenu');
      dropdown.css('display', 'none');
      dropdown.fadeIn('fast');
  });
  $('#primary-menu').on(
    'hide.zf.dropdownmenu', function() {
      var dropdown = $(this).find('.is-dropdown-submenu');
      dropdown.css('display', 'inherit');
      dropdown.fadeOut('fast');
  });

Leif Birnbaum over 2 years ago

@jinch @napishu

I partially solved this by changing the display property in this function to 'none' which eliminates the out animation - but at least you don't get the menus all flashing at once. Still poking around...

jQuery(".dropdown").on('hide.zf.dropdownmenu', function (ev, $el) {
    $el.children("ul")
    .css('display', 'none')
		.slideUp(250);
  });

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Nice - you're hooking into the MotionUI classes?

I put together a demo of what you did here: http://codepen.io/rafibomb/pen/qZBbaO

Good solution and thanks for sharing!

Franek Dolas about 3 years ago

Rafi Benkual, with this solution if You have nested more levels all items show up when hovering over the top level item.

Rafi Benkual, with this solution if You have nested more levels all items show up when hovering over the top level item.

Rafi Benkual almost 4 years ago

This is pretty challenging to do. Perhaps some of these examples might help:

slideToggle is the simplest - http://codepen.io/jaywerra/pen/fIcGv

Or with CSS
http://codepen.io/wzy1990/pen/jFsKt

I'm having the same issue. If I have two dropdown menu items side-by-side, and I hover over one. Then hover over the next - all dropdown menus flash open and slide closed. It's weird because I cannot replicate in the codepen that @napishu supplied - different version of foundation?

jinch over 2 years ago

@Leif

Thanks for sharing your resolution :). I ended up avoiding the animation on my end for the sake of progress but with this I may give it another go.

~  appreciated

@jinch

I just ended up removing the out animation altogether and just use the in animation. A little less javascript and a little less buggy :)

jinch over 2 years ago

As mentioned above... this only works with only drop down / if you have multiple nested menu's - they all show.

How do you target just first nested menu / than the second only on hover?

napishu over 2 years ago

@jinch

Working example http://codepen.io/anephew/pen/VpWRRX

jinch over 2 years ago

@napishu ~ you saved the day!!!!!

THANK YOU!

jinch over 2 years ago

@napishu ~ quick question...

The code works great and it works exactly how I was envisioning... however, I noticed a small bug: /

If you scroll off the menu and then move your mouse back quickly before it fully closes / the menu will start to flash open and closed repetitively. This mostly happens on longer menus // also noticed that it effects other menus on the page. Meaning if you don't allow it to completely finish animating close before you trigger again / you will get a flash of all menus opening simultaneously. I tried messing with the default hover and close time settings but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Is there a way to avoid this flashing content? Perhaps a reset or delay to prevent it from triggering before the menu is ready to animate again?