Menu icon Foundation
How to deploy Foundation 6 site created by Yeti Launch

It isn't clear how best to deploy a foundation 6 site to my hosting server. I am not sure which files I need to upload to my host in order for my sites full capabilities.

deployfoundation 6yeti launch

It isn't clear how best to deploy a foundation 6 site to my hosting server. I am not sure which files I need to upload to my host in order for my sites full capabilities.

Brian Tan almost 2 years ago

I would include whatever css and js files that are sourced in your html/php. Don't need the complete bower_components tree.

( jquery, what-input, motion-ui, foundation-sites and other plug-ins that maybe used)

Jonas Marlo Loerken almost 2 years ago

Especially the /bower_components/foundation-sites/docs_old directory is quite large (something about 8-10 MB). I think this isn't needed so far...

Erik M almost 2 years ago

If you have version 1.0.1 of Yeti Launch (available at http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/yeti-launch.html) then you can just let Yeti Launch do all of that work. It has buttons to deploy projects to Notable, and it will only include the necessary files (not bower components or other dependencies).

Hope that helps,
Erik

Dayo almost 2 years ago

New to all this myself (just a toe dipping amateur) but I found that when you click on the "Deploy" button in Yeti Launch 1.0.1, it will create a zipped package of files which can be uploaded. The distracting nagging screen asking you to sign up for Notable (can't find a option to switch this off) can be ignored it seems.

Hey Dayo,

We considered adding a "zip project" button that users could manually click, but I imagined that 99% of the time a user would want to immediately follow the zipping with an upload to Notable. That is why the deploy to notable button ultimately performs two tasks:
1. Zips the project
2. Triggers the Notable modal

We don't want it to be annoying with popups, so apologies for that. We ultimately just feel that Notable helps create a tight feedback loop between people working on projects together, which creates better products. We use it here every day, same way we use Foundation. What are you using the zip file for if you are not uploading to Notable? Perhaps there is a way to better support whatever your workflow is.

Thanks!
Erik

Jeremy Alexander almost 2 years ago

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your great feedback and Dayo for sending us down this path. I would use a .zip file of my project to upload to the hosting server to deploy my finalized site. I love the foundation framework and this was my first time using Yeti Launch, so I wasn't sure exactly what was being done within the .zip file that gets uploaded to notable and if it would suffice to upload my finalized site to my hosting server. I am correcting in assuming I can do this right, upload .zip file unzip and voila my foundation site on the host server?

Thanks for your patience and help!!!

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

You should be able to upload what is in the .zip to a production website. It would be even better if what was in the .zip file was minified for production. We are experimenting with adding a toggle for production in Yeti Launch, which will do just that. As of right now however, it will just be regular unminified code in those zip files.

However you guys brought up something really interesting. If Yeti Launch was given an SSH key, and a path, it could actually upload the zip directly to a production server (without ever leaving the app!). Is that something you guys would be interested in?

Thanks,
Erik

Jeremy Alexander almost 2 years ago

Eric,

Awesome thanks for clarifying! That would be great to be able to connect to the production server. Would be very interested in that feature.

Cheers

Dayo almost 2 years ago

Hi Erik,

I am just a dabbler doing some personal stuff and don't have a team to collaborate with.
I bet the workflow describes works just fine for pros.

Now that I figured out that the zipped file is there, I can go there, unzip and upload to my webspace. Perhaps ftp or sftp etc to send directly would be nice.

In any case, I am just learning about sass etc and tip toeing through things.

I have a few queries but will ask those separately if I can't find answers. Trying to avoid asking uber noob questions.

Hey Dayo!

You can always email me, erik@zurb.com too if you have a specific question. I'm always happy to help :)

Thanks,
Erik

annismckenzie almost 2 years ago

I'd also be very interested in having a button that zips up the production build (or just executes npm run build) so I can give Yeti Launch to my designer. I can set everything up on his machine (npm, bower and whatnot) but he hasn't seen a command line in his life and I'm not gonna try to change that. We also won't be using Notable.