Menu icon Foundation
Disaster release Foundation 6

Last year I have done a few projects with Foundation 5. Therefor I have been playing with Foundation 6 since the launch. I can't believe ZURB is releasing a product that's not ready and full of errors.

1. No migration guide between foundation 5 and 6 (a lot of BC-breaks!)
2. Off-canvas menu was not working (has been fixed)
3. (Off-canvas) drilldown not working.
4. Documentation has quite some errors. For example the drilldown. It says to add a 'data-submenu', while if you look into their own source code they don't use it?
5. Orbit slider doesn't work. I have 3 slides, but this is causing space being claimed under the slider.
6. No documentation on how to update Foundation 6 to the latest (bower update).
7. Sticky doesn't work for my topbar/header. Also no specific example for this in the docs.
8. Uncommenting the xxlarge breakpoint inside the settings will throw an error:

Error in plugin 'sass'
bower_components/foundation-sites/scss/util/_unit.scss
Error: argument `$number` of `unit($number)` must be a number

This is just the first things I find after playing with it for a few hours. Forum topics are not being replied to.

Foundation, when can we expect that above and other problems are resolved? This is unusable for a production site!

foundation 6disaster

Last year I have done a few projects with Foundation 5. Therefor I have been playing with Foundation 6 since the launch. I can't believe ZURB is releasing a product that's not ready and full of errors.

1. No migration guide between foundation 5 and 6 (a lot of BC-breaks!)
2. Off-canvas menu was not working (has been fixed)
3. (Off-canvas) drilldown not working.
4. Documentation has quite some errors. For example the drilldown. It says to add a 'data-submenu', while if you look into their own source code they don't use it?
5. Orbit slider doesn't work. I have 3 slides, but this is causing space being claimed under the slider.
6. No documentation on how to update Foundation 6 to the latest (bower update).
7. Sticky doesn't work for my topbar/header. Also no specific example for this in the docs.
8. Uncommenting the xxlarge breakpoint inside the settings will throw an error:

Error in plugin 'sass'
bower_components/foundation-sites/scss/util/_unit.scss
Error: argument `$number` of `unit($number)` must be a number

This is just the first things I find after playing with it for a few hours. Forum topics are not being replied to.

Foundation, when can we expect that above and other problems are resolved? This is unusable for a production site!

Nick TC over 3 years ago

Oh, the style guide feature of the ZURB advanced template is not actually indexing the pages that I created in my source. I expected this. It would have been cool if the style guide would make a list of pages that I created.

Pawel over 3 years ago

Hello Guys,

Actually i had to agree to some of the above.
I had zero problems (or at least l was able to solve them by myself) with foundation ver,2., ver,3., ver,4.* , ver.5.*.
(I also have some experience with Angular Js and React JS).

i am really sad, but Foundation 6 javascript is just not working for me in most cases.
And i am also little bit angry, because i will have to move to "working" framework like bootstrap (which i hate).

I think there might be some problem with documentation, but in my current situation i don't have time to analyze all new foundation files to check where the problem lies.

Knight Yoshi over 3 years ago

@Nick TC "I can't believe ZURB is releasing a product that's not ready and full of errors."
That's the dumbest thing ever. Nothing is ever released bug free.

Orbit works just fine. You need to add the Motion UI CSS, either the pre-compiled version or include the SCSS version in your CSS. You will need to install the Motion UI library into your project as it's not included by default except for the Foundation starter pojects.

npm install motion-ui --save-dev

or

bower install motion-ui --save-dev

Then

@import 'motion-ui';
@include motion-ui-transitions;

Chris Olyer also said on Github, https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/issues/7286#event-479615131, that you can set it to not use the MUI library by adding data-use-m-u-i="false"

@Pawel Why switch to Bootstrap? Just keep using Foundation 5 until Foundation 6 is stable enough for you. Lol

James Stone over 3 years ago

I agree with @Knight Yoshi that sticking with Foundation 5 is a good move if you have not tested out functionality with v6.

I understand you are frustrated, but a more appropriate place to report issues that you are finding is on github issues. Here you can see if there are similar issues, there is often a discussion, potentially a workaround. The biggest thing is that it gets it in front of the right people who are fixing these things.

@Pawel if bootstrap is better for the project then go for it. Personally I have used Foundation 5 + Angular Foundation for countless projects and it is very solid.

Nick TC over 3 years ago

Hi James,

I agree with you. Normally I would log bugs via GH. But in this case I just wanted to share my frustration, and I think the forum is a good place for that. I really like how F6 is working, and it has great potential. But I don't think you should ever want to release such buggy software. Thats why I don't understand Knight Yoshi's remark. Software will always have bugs, but there is a big difference with delivering software that has some bugs, or delivering software that is just full of bugs. Especially since this is release 6(!). Docs are incomplete or not up-to-date. I am sure that Zurb knew about the state of the framework, and yet they decided to release it. I just think that thats a bad decision.

Nick

Nick TC over 3 years ago

@Knight, I used the ZURB advanced (full stack) starter project. It comes with motion UI by default right? So that shouldn't be the problem. Next to that I notice that the equalizer is working when using 'nmp start', but not when I like to build it for production 'npm run build'. All JS is not working after this.

Knight Yoshi over 3 years ago

@Nick TC I'm not using the Foundation starter projects. I just manually added the MUI library to my project and included it in my SCSS, make sure it's actually importing the MUI CSS and then including the class mixin. It works just fine. In fact Foundation 6.0.5 even says it fixed the issue with Orbit and the MUI library, https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases.

Brandon Arnold over 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback @Nick TC This came in during the thanksgiving break and it appears i missed it.

There are definitely some bugs that unfortunately didn't get caught in our public releases and our own builds with F6. The team and myself are answering questions and patching as fast as possible to resolve these and are loving the PRs the community is putting forth. We use Foundation for all our client work and I'm building a site on it right now, so we're on the same page that we want to get these issues taken care of as fast as possible.

This was the first write we've done in a while and we're super stoked with the massive code improvements we have made, but we're definitely bummed with the number of larger issues. Thanks for being so passionate about the framework and we'd love to continue to hear your thoughts here an Github.

We just pushed a v6.0.5 but let me know if there's anything we're still struggling on that may need some additional attention.

https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases/tag/v6.0.1
https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases/tag/v6.0.2
https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases/tag/v6.0.3
https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases/tag/v6.0.4
https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/releases/tag/v6.0.5

Feel free to ask me any ore questions and i'd be happy to have a chat.

Thanks,
Brandon

Pawel over 3 years ago

Hello Guys,

After cooling little bit down, i thought, if it works for some people, should probably work for me.
So i've started project from scratch using all the methods that were described.
This one worked for me:
foundation new --framework sites --template zurb

if i use this method - and files from dist (compiled ones) - works like charm.

However other methods didn't work for me - i mean jQuery/javascript plugins don't "behave" even if all files are loaded (so i think it might be something with dependencies - there should be more about them in the documentation).

ps. Just looked at @Brandon Arnold comment - not sure if it was "method" or update ;) anymore.

@Pawel We had some issues with minified JS on day of launch, so that was most likely it. I'm glad it's working now for you, so sorry you had trouble and that it caused frustration.

Nick TC over 3 years ago

Hi Brandon,

I still experience problems, while I updated to the latest foundation-sites version. Below you'll find links to two versions (dev and prod) of what I am building. The site is in Dutch, but you'll get the idea. I used the ZURB advanced starter project. The problems I am experiencing:

1. Orbit slider is taking up space for each slide when used in combination with a equalizer. Without equalizer it works fine.

2. JS is only working on Chrome for the dev version. Other browsers (Safari, Firefox) are not working (on a Mac). You can see for example that the orbit and equalizer are not working.

3. When resizing the browser the orbit height stays the same and is not responsive. If I refresh the page with the new dimensions then it acts fine.

4. In the bottom of the page (below the black box) it shows a horizontal shadow line. Not sure if it's supposed to be there?

5. Orbit slider is not working at all in case of the production build. Same for the equalizer. Looks like JS is not working with me when I use 'npm run build'.

6. I didn't try to make the header (green bar + menu bar) sticky anymore. Will try this later on to see if this is working.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Nick

Created with 'npm start':
http://www.victoria28.nl/f6/home.html

Created with 'npm run build':
http://www.victoria28.nl/f6-prod/home.html

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

@Nick TC

GitHub is the best place to file confirmed bugs with the framework. We can get people in the community and the Foundation team to address them there. If you search here, the issue may already have been posted and you can add you help there. https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites

The forum is a great place to get help with your questions, and custom implementations and have discussions like this thread. Thanks!

Hey @Nick TC How are you updating? These are both still on 6.0.0, i'm wondering if somethings not updating with NPM then. Let me know, we're happy to help.

Nick TC over 3 years ago

I am updating with 'bower update'. Should I be updating in a different way? Would be nice if you could update from Yeti :-).

@Nick TC Bower Update is right. Yeti Launch will be able to do that with a button click soon.

Nick TC over 3 years ago

@Brandon Arnold I checked and it seems that bower.json is pointing to

"foundation-sites": "zurb/foundation-sites-6#develop",

Instead of:

"foundation-sites": "zurb/foundation-sites#develop",

I changed this and manually set the version inside bower_components/foundation-sites/bower.json from:

6.0.0-alpha.1

to:

v6.0.5

Did a bower update again, but still the same problems. Also updated the online site:

http://www.victoria28.nl/f6/home.html

"foundation-sites": "zurb/foundation-sites-6#develop",
"foundation-sites": "zurb/foundation-sites#develop",

6.0.0-alpha.1
v6.0.5

Raul Santamaria over 3 years ago

Just thinking aloud...

Why don't you release untested versions as beta?
This way we'll know what to expect, avoiding disappointments.

Obviously, F6 still isn't ready for production developments, and trying to force it only leads to excesive coding time and frustration.

Regards,

R.

Jay Thatcher over 3 years ago

I understand being frustrated when something doesn't work like this, as it takes longer to figure out if it's the framework or something you've got wrong in your code. However, it is very common for the first few weeks of a release to have numerous bugs and updates. Once something gets pushed out to a large number of people, everyone uses it differently and exposes problems not previously discovered. This is not a defense of Zurb per se, it's what you should expect.

Like when Apple releases a new operating system, don't upgrade the first month or first quarter even, especially if your livelihood depends on it. Your printer won't work, Adobe won't have their updates ready and you jeopardize all projects in process. In comparison, Zurb is working hard for you for free without you buying a $2,000 computer or $650 iPhone from them. Foundation 6 will be as solid as 5 in time. Any version of any software with a #.0 will have issues at first.

I do understand your frustration (Nick, Pawel, Raul). Hang in there. I used to get mad at Apple with every major OS release, but realized I needed to adjust my expectations and lag behind early adopters for my own good. Use Foundation 5. It is very stable. Join the F6 party in a month after you've tested the key features you know you need.

@Jay Thatcher Awesome answer!

This is a good discussion around the hiccups concerning a HUGE release like this. Foundation 6 is a big time value add to workflows and features and there are a lot of moving pieces. The criticism is appreciated as much as the kudos because we know people are invested in the work we do.

We're in the forum and GitHub working through issues each day and listening to how people use Foundation. We're building client projects, internal products, and teaching lessons on Foundation 6 which are helping quickly make adjustments to the codebase.

Keep the discussion going and we love everyones commitment to Foundation!

PS: the develop branch is the place and that's where we add new fixes/features. https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites

Raul Santamaria over 3 years ago

It REALLY is.

And I appreciate the effort you're putting in Foundation @Rafi Benkual , just a small warning during first days would avoid misunderstandings and would help to maintain fair expectations.

We'll continue testing and fiddling with new releases as soon as we have them available, even if it shows a beta label. We love new versions :D

Thanks to all in this thread too ;)