Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 6, ready for production, realy ?

I read the forum posts, and I see the issues on Github. More than 100 actually, and some big issue not there on F5. I wonder if this release is realy a production release, or a beta or alpha release ...

Do we need to wait some weeks to really use the F6 framework ???

F6betaalpha

I read the forum posts, and I see the issues on Github. More than 100 actually, and some big issue not there on F5. I wonder if this release is realy a production release, or a beta or alpha release ...

Do we need to wait some weeks to really use the F6 framework ???

Lynda Spangler over 2 years ago

I just started building a site with it and so far it is working pretty good. I've ran into a few issues but nothing really too major for this specific site.

COLABORATI over 2 years ago

Be very careful! I was testing F6 on two small side projects and it was A LOT of trouble and generated many hours of work! With some experience in CSS and JS you can find your way around, but be prepared for trouble! F6 is still not battle hardened, so you will be the lab rat.

Finally you have to test for yourself with your project, but look at these facts:

• Zurb developers changed JS completely in F6 release version - try hard to understand what that means!
  • There is NO TESTING OF ANY KIND IN F6 - try hard to understand what that means!
  • Many small problems, e.g. with async loading, see bug reports. Bad for mobile.

Also currently there is no concept (at least I could not find one) for a no-javascript fallback for the components that need javascript - a good framework should provide some kind of solution for clients without javascript, so no content is hidden. Must build yourself! 

If you are ready for the pain, be prepared to spend some extra time.

If you need to build a site and this is critical about time and money - I wold not recommend F6 right now. Maybe in a year.

That said, still F6 has some nice ideas, modularization of components is interesting, I still like many things better than with other frameworks (personal preference), however I will test BT4 alpha to see what the other guys are doing. It would be great if F6 had some testing (they are working on it) and if the modularization would lead to a bigger collection of components, like having css only menus and other things that are more up2date and work without JS. Also better ReactJS-Readiness would be fine (look at semantic ui), yes, and of course any kind of "skinability"...

If you have a serious budget for a big project and have people with lots of CSS and JS experience on board - then please USE IT and submit lots of pull requests to make F6 better!

Ah, and there is one more meta-annoyance: it is not possible to filter this forum for F6 - so it is very time intensive to find actual F6 problems and their solutions, because you can not search for e.g. "menu" in all postings tagged with F6, you always search everything. This is something that zurb could change in one day and save A LOT of time to many people.

Good Luck!

COLABORATI over 2 years ago

wow, also now I get 500 server errors with this forum and see that posts have still been posted two times - well, sorry for that, there just seems to be some problem with their rails setup.