Menu icon Foundation
SASS Install Failure

Hello All,

I'm trying to install Foundation with SASS following the instructions at http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html. All went well, and tried to create a new project using "foundation new FOO --libsass" command, which creates the "FOO" directory, but throws a failure (pasted below).

I've tried all variations on fixing including using "sudo" but with no luck. Some posts I've found suggest that there is a higher permissions issue, but no where is it discussed.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Very frustrating.

SYSTEM SPEC:
Git Version: 1.8.5.2
Bower Version: 1.6.5
Node Version: 5.0.0
Ruby Version: 2.0.0p451

Thanks!
Jay

Installing dependencies with bower...
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/node_modules/configstore/index.js:56
    			throw err;
				^

Error: EACCES: permission denied, open '/Users/<username></username>/.config/configstore/bower-github.yml'
You don't have access to this file.

at Error (native)
    at Object.fs.openSync (evalmachine.<anonymous>:584:18)
    at Object.fs.readFileSync (evalmachine.<anonymous>:431:33)
    at Object.create.all.get (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/node_modules/configstore/index.js:34:29)
    at Object.Configstore (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/node_modules/configstore/index.js:27:44)
    at readCachedConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/config.js:19:23)
    at defaultConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/config.js:11:12)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/index.js:40:32)
    at Module._compile (module.js:425:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:432:10)
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `read': No such file or directory - /Applications/MAMP/foo/bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/_settings.scss (Errno::ENOENT)
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `block (2 levels) in new'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `open'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `block in new'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/actions.rb:184:in `block in inside'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/fileutils.rb:125:in `chdir'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/fileutils.rb:125:in `cd'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/actions.rb:184:in `inside'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:128:in `new'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/invocation.rb:126:in `invoke_command'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor.rb:359:in `dispatch'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/base.rb:440:in `start'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/bin/foundation:4:in `<top (required)>'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `load'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `<main>'

Sasscliinstallfails

Hello All,

I'm trying to install Foundation with SASS following the instructions at http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html. All went well, and tried to create a new project using "foundation new FOO --libsass" command, which creates the "FOO" directory, but throws a failure (pasted below).

I've tried all variations on fixing including using "sudo" but with no luck. Some posts I've found suggest that there is a higher permissions issue, but no where is it discussed.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Very frustrating.

SYSTEM SPEC:
Git Version: 1.8.5.2
Bower Version: 1.6.5
Node Version: 5.0.0
Ruby Version: 2.0.0p451

Thanks!
Jay

Installing dependencies with bower...
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/node_modules/configstore/index.js:56
    			throw err;
				^

Error: EACCES: permission denied, open '/Users/<username></username>/.config/configstore/bower-github.yml'
You don't have access to this file.

at Error (native)
    at Object.fs.openSync (evalmachine.<anonymous>:584:18)
    at Object.fs.readFileSync (evalmachine.<anonymous>:431:33)
    at Object.create.all.get (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/node_modules/configstore/index.js:34:29)
    at Object.Configstore (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/node_modules/configstore/index.js:27:44)
    at readCachedConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/config.js:19:23)
    at defaultConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/config.js:11:12)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/index.js:40:32)
    at Module._compile (module.js:425:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:432:10)
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `read': No such file or directory - /Applications/MAMP/foo/bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/_settings.scss (Errno::ENOENT)
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `block (2 levels) in new'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `open'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:131:in `block in new'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/actions.rb:184:in `block in inside'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/fileutils.rb:125:in `chdir'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/fileutils.rb:125:in `cd'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/actions.rb:184:in `inside'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:128:in `new'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/invocation.rb:126:in `invoke_command'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor.rb:359:in `dispatch'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/thor-0.19.1/lib/thor/base.rb:440:in `start'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/foundation-1.0.4/bin/foundation:4:in `<top (required)>'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `load'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `<main>'

Otti Ott almost 4 years ago

Hi Jay,

I'm receiving the exact same error message. I agree this is very frustrating and almost puts me off the whole Sass thing.
Did you find a solution in the meantime?

otti

Jay Kardong almost 4 years ago

No, just ran into this in the last 24 hours and cannot get past it. Researching manual install options at this point as it seems fairly common with no resolution.

Hi Jay,

I just found the solution which solved it for me.
I installed everything as per documentation, but bower -v did also get me the permission error as the one you describe above (and I also had). I finally found the permission fix here:
https://github.com/bower/bower/issues/1607
Scroll down to 11 May and see the solution from Angel-Gonzalez:
sudo chown -R [user name] ~/.config
sudo chown -R [user name] ~/.config

Use it with your username (obviously no square brackets) and see if this helps.
When I use it and then bower -v I get the proper version and the installation of bower etc works fine. I now have a perfect project.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers
otti

Jay Kardong almost 4 years ago

Otti! Boom! That worked for me. Excellent digging to find a fix.

Thanks a lot! Saved me further head banging.

Jay

Hi Jay,
You are more than welcome.
I think the Foundation community is good, but could do with a bit more support throughout from all users.
Believe me, I'm as happy as you are to have found a fix.

Cheers
otti