Menu icon Foundation
What should I use, Sites or Apps?

I currently have a web application set up using Backbone.Marionette (www.plotist.com). The interface was all built using Bootstrap, but I'm looking to replace the interface with something else a bit more powerful.

I think I could manage just with Sites, but I don't know if Apps includes something Sites doesn't other than Angular routing.

If I'm replacing the interface of an existing app, should I use Sites or Apps?

appsitesbackbonemarionetteangular

I currently have a web application set up using Backbone.Marionette (www.plotist.com). The interface was all built using Bootstrap, but I'm looking to replace the interface with something else a bit more powerful.

I think I could manage just with Sites, but I don't know if Apps includes something Sites doesn't other than Angular routing.

If I'm replacing the interface of an existing app, should I use Sites or Apps?

James Stone about 4 years ago

I took a quick look at your site but wasn't able to take a look at your app (since it is invite only) but here is some general advice.

For your marketing site you might find Foundation for Sites to be a better fit. Why? It has been used for years to build exactly that and it has a bunch of components that make creating a marketing site a snap. Sites can basically be made to look like just about anything.

To compare that to Apps. I think you will find it more difficult to build a marketing site in Apps. The patterns are typically more suited to web apps and I would say tend to focus more on the Mobile UX. I would suggest taking a look at some of the demos to get an idea of what some of these patterns look like.

So here is the rub, with single page apps you might lose a lot of the Foundation JS Functionality. Since you are not using Angular you have a couple of choices. 1) Do a site / app audit and see which patterns / components you will need and rewrite them for Marionette / Backbone (in the case of Apps) or 2) If you are reflowing the dom, which is typical in Single Page Apps, you will need to re-instantionate Foundation after you paint your templates and the dom isn't changing. This is a bit of a hacked solution but it works. In Angular you accomplish this in the link function. I don't use Backbone or Marionette extensively but I assume there is some similar method to accomplish this. I say I assume because, it is a common use case to want to use jQuery Plugins within your app.

Hope that helps as a starting point. Feel free to DM me on twitter if you want me to take a look at your app and provide more specific advice. @JAMESSTONEco