Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 6 on Windows - Help Needed

I already have a Foundation 5 test system on my Windows 7 desktop computer. I used Libsass and grunt - following the detailed instructions in a forum post (thanks for that). However, I am a bit baffled by the new Foundation 6 Beta and I really would like to play with it. Most of it is being inexperienced with all these acronyms and not knowing what is just a general install and what needs to be installed to a specific folder and how to debug any environment setup errors.

From what I can tell, my current grunt system isn't what is being used for the advanced project on Foundation 6. That seems to use a different program to watch changed files - Gulp.

To avoid issues with running two foundations on the same machine, I attempted to install Foundation 6 on my laptop (running Windows 10) but ended up with Gulp errors I cannot resolve - i.e. I run Gulp in Webstorm and I get a "throw err' - cannot find module 'clone'.

In all my digging for a solution, I found some online help that said I was missing some GCC and they suggested i install MinGW. I did that and still have an issue. So I'm not sure if it is a compatability error, a security error during installation, or if I am in the wrong folder when I am doing the prep for Foundation 6. Or maybe I have the wrong version of node.

Ideally, I would prefer Foundation on my desktop as that is where I usually do my usual web development work. Can I install two versions of Foundation on my desktop even if one uses Grunt and one uses Gulp?

Any idea why my laptop is sending me Gulp Throw Errors? I'm about to remove everything I did there and start over. (sad face)

I'm very excited about the new Foundation 6 and want to try out a few things before it goes into production.

Thanks - Lisa

Gulp error

Foundation 6 Betawindowssetupgulp

I already have a Foundation 5 test system on my Windows 7 desktop computer. I used Libsass and grunt - following the detailed instructions in a forum post (thanks for that). However, I am a bit baffled by the new Foundation 6 Beta and I really would like to play with it. Most of it is being inexperienced with all these acronyms and not knowing what is just a general install and what needs to be installed to a specific folder and how to debug any environment setup errors.

From what I can tell, my current grunt system isn't what is being used for the advanced project on Foundation 6. That seems to use a different program to watch changed files - Gulp.

To avoid issues with running two foundations on the same machine, I attempted to install Foundation 6 on my laptop (running Windows 10) but ended up with Gulp errors I cannot resolve - i.e. I run Gulp in Webstorm and I get a "throw err' - cannot find module 'clone'.

In all my digging for a solution, I found some online help that said I was missing some GCC and they suggested i install MinGW. I did that and still have an issue. So I'm not sure if it is a compatability error, a security error during installation, or if I am in the wrong folder when I am doing the prep for Foundation 6. Or maybe I have the wrong version of node.

Ideally, I would prefer Foundation on my desktop as that is where I usually do my usual web development work. Can I install two versions of Foundation on my desktop even if one uses Grunt and one uses Gulp?

Any idea why my laptop is sending me Gulp Throw Errors? I'm about to remove everything I did there and start over. (sad face)

I'm very excited about the new Foundation 6 and want to try out a few things before it goes into production.

Thanks - Lisa

Gulp error

This post has been closed. No new replies can be added.

Rafi Benkual almost 4 years ago

Hmm, not sure about the errors, but I have a Windows desktop at home I can try it on.

You can definitely run two version of Foundation with Gulp and Grunt respectively. The CLI only creates projects for one or the other because they have the same execute command.

Did you install node?
Anyone have an ideas in the meantime?

Lisa Lisa almost 4 years ago

Thanks Rafi,

I have tried this any number of ways on a few different Windows computers. I get stuck in the same place. I am thinking it is a Windows dependency or path issue?

I have installed git, ruby, node (4.2.1), gulp, grunt, MinGW (GCC files that I guessed where the ones referenced but I wasn't sure as MinGW pulled up a lot of stuff). Maybe I didn't grab the correct things? I do have Visual Studio installed which was supposed to take care of compiler dependencies though.

My last attempt was to clone the git dev version of Foundation 6 as I assumed the directions should point me the way to a working version of Foundation 6. (See foundation-sites-6 readme.md updated 6 days ago) Again, same issue.

Is there a path that needs to be added to Windows so that it can find module.js? I tried a windows search for this but didn't get anywhere. Here is the error log from my last attempt. Hopefully this will help figure out what I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\nodejs\\node.exe',
1 verbose cli   'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js',
1 verbose cli   'start' ]
2 info using npm@2.14.7
3 info using node@v4.2.1
4 verbose run-script [ 'prestart', 'start', 'poststart' ]
5 info prestart foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2
6 info start foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2
7 verbose unsafe-perm in lifecycle true
8 info foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2 Failed to exec start script
9 verbose stack Error: foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2 start: `gulp`
9 verbose stack Exit status 1
9 verbose stack     at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\node_modules\npm\lib\utils\lifecycle.js:214:16)
9 verbose stack     at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
9 verbose stack     at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:172:7)
9 verbose stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\node_modules\npm\lib\utils\spawn.js:24:14)
9 verbose stack     at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
9 verbose stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:172:7)
9 verbose stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:818:16)
9 verbose stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:211:5)
10 verbose pkgid foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2
11 verbose cwd G:\BT Webs\+ F6\test\foundation-sites-6
12 error Windows_NT 6.1.7601
13 error argv "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "start"
14 error node v4.2.1
15 error npm  v2.14.7
16 error code ELIFECYCLE
17 error foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2 start: `gulp`
17 error Exit status 1
18 error Failed at the foundation-sites@6.0.0-alpha.2 start script 'gulp'.
18 error This is most likely a problem with the foundation-sites package,
18 error not with npm itself.
18 error Tell the author that this fails on your system:
18 error     gulp
18 error You can get their info via:
18 error     npm owner ls foundation-sites
18 error There is likely additional logging output above.
19 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

Any ideas why it won't work for me?

Just moved this issue over to the Foundation 6 github project. Will let you know if they resolve it for me. Thanks!

Karl Hand over 3 years ago

Not sure if this helps but I recently ventured into F6 from F5.
My issues resulted in me having to remove ruby & gems from my Win 7 64bit environment and start fresh following Zurbs setup instructions on the sites main docs page. Went off without a hitch.

I don't know why the conflicts were happening or if it is logical there would be conflicts but if you need ruby for any projects then removing it won't be a solution for you.

I just noticed you had a lot loaded on your system and if you are like me and don't know exactly what they do in dept, you won't know where to start with a resolution which makes it tough for any of our peers to help.

Note all dependencies for old projects and uninstall everything and start fresh, that's what I done.

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Thanks for your insight Karl! I think that removing old dependancies could help. The new build only needs Git and Node. James Stone made this great video in setting up that I think will help people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKywQK4NPdc

Lisa Lisa over 3 years ago

I posted on the github area and got some help but those didn't solve the problem entirely. Finally got a link from Brian Tan to the entire zurb project - all nice and neat in an archive file. Took his advice and only had to rebuild node-sass (npm rebuild node-sass from a command prompt) and I am up and running correctly.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Not sure what my system didn't like but the archive file solved everything.

Brian Tan over 3 years ago

You're welcome.

The archives contain 6.1.1 system. Run bower update in project root to update to 6.1.2

For matching template update (6.1.2), download from github directly (complete or just changed files)

https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites-template
https://github.com/zurb/foundation-zurb-template

Lisa Lisa over 3 years ago

Thanks for all your help! I'm up and running the most current version now and able to update it. Life is good. :D