Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 6 for new project?

Right now I am busy learning what I can about Foundation 5, sass, grunt and all that goes into it. I have a little bit of a learning curve but am experimenting becoming comfortable with Foundation and all that it entails. The "real" project isn't scheduled until after the first of the year.

I understand that Foundation 6 is due out by the beginning of the year. Are my Foundation 5 skills transferable to Foundation 6? Should I wait on any my "education" and project work until Foundation 6 is out?

Am curious for your views...

foundation 6Sass

Right now I am busy learning what I can about Foundation 5, sass, grunt and all that goes into it. I have a little bit of a learning curve but am experimenting becoming comfortable with Foundation and all that it entails. The "real" project isn't scheduled until after the first of the year.

I understand that Foundation 6 is due out by the beginning of the year. Are my Foundation 5 skills transferable to Foundation 6? Should I wait on any my "education" and project work until Foundation 6 is out?

Am curious for your views...

This post has been closed. No new replies can be added.

Rafi Benkual about 2 years ago

Yes - Foundation 5 is a great place to start. The grid classes and most of the components are implemented in much the same way.

Version 6 will be out before the end of the year and we'll have a migration guide available. The changes are more in the CSS, so much of the HTML will remain the same, except Top-bar.

Lisa Lisa about 2 years ago

It's funny you mention the top-bar as it is one of the things I am having trouble formatting the way I want. I actually really like the look of the amazon.com top toolbar that has 2 line menu items. Such as:

| Shop by |

| Department V |

Will Foundation 6 have a built-in way of dealing with this by chance?

As for migration - would rather not have to. :) I'll continue my education in my evenings and see how the timing works out for Foundation 6. Might just work out at about the right time.

Thanks again!

Rafi Benkual about 2 years ago

For complex menu's like the Amazon one you mentioned, you're better off using two separate menus, one for larger screens and one for smaller.

You can use top-bar with some customization.

Also, there is really nothing requiring anyone to upgrade as Foundation 5 is tested and stable.