Menu icon Foundation
foundation/functions not found

Hello -

I'm a bit of a newbie so excuse me if I'm being dumb in any way (there are no dumb questions, just dumb people!).

I just upgraded from F4 to F5. I tried the upgrade process and it didn't work so I uninstalled the F4 gem and tried from scratch and got the same error which is:
-----
File to import not found or unreadable: foundation/functions.
Load path: Sass::Rails::Importer(/Users/skapur/Projects/sigma/app/assets/stylesheets/foundation_and_overrides.scss)
(in /Users/skapur/Projects/sigma/app/assets/stylesheets/foundation_and_overrides.scss)
-----
I used the gem and did the steps on this page:
http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/applications.html

My application.css file has:
*= require foundation_and_overrides
in it.

The foundation_and_overrides.scss file has this line in it:
@import "foundation/functions";

I think that's the problem. Where is this alleged 'foundation/functions' file? I do see this file:
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-rails-5.2.0.0/vendor/assets/stylesheets/foundation/_functions.scss

But even if I try to finagle and add an underscore to my @import line so it reads:
@import "foundation/_functions";
it doesn't work.

This is a disaster. To quote Robert Redford in All Is Lost:

I’m sorry. I know that means little at this point, but I am. I tried. I think you would all agree that I tried. To be true, to be strong, to be kind, to love, to be right. To use the foundation gem properly. But I wasn’t.

upgradeinstallfunctions

Hello -

I'm a bit of a newbie so excuse me if I'm being dumb in any way (there are no dumb questions, just dumb people!).

I just upgraded from F4 to F5. I tried the upgrade process and it didn't work so I uninstalled the F4 gem and tried from scratch and got the same error which is:
-----
File to import not found or unreadable: foundation/functions.
Load path: Sass::Rails::Importer(/Users/skapur/Projects/sigma/app/assets/stylesheets/foundation_and_overrides.scss)
(in /Users/skapur/Projects/sigma/app/assets/stylesheets/foundation_and_overrides.scss)
-----
I used the gem and did the steps on this page:
http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/applications.html

My application.css file has:
*= require foundation_and_overrides
in it.

The foundation_and_overrides.scss file has this line in it:
@import "foundation/functions";

I think that's the problem. Where is this alleged 'foundation/functions' file? I do see this file:
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-rails-5.2.0.0/vendor/assets/stylesheets/foundation/_functions.scss

But even if I try to finagle and add an underscore to my @import line so it reads:
@import "foundation/_functions";
it doesn't work.

This is a disaster. To quote Robert Redford in All Is Lost:

I’m sorry. I know that means little at this point, but I am. I tried. I think you would all agree that I tried. To be true, to be strong, to be kind, to love, to be right. To use the foundation gem properly. But I wasn’t.

This post has been closed. No new replies can be added.

Sumit Kapur over 5 years ago

Also, my buttons still look like F4 buttons, which is very strange because I thought I had uninstalled F4 by removing the gem from the gemfile, running bundle install and manually deleting files and references from the assets directory...

OK - now I have come up with something. I found the old files for the old gem living in:
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems

I deleted them and fascinatingly things seem to be working better. My modals are broken but now at least the error went away and my buttons look like F5 buttons.

Is this unique to me or should there be a step added to the instructions to delete the old gem files? Also, if anybody knows why my modals are broken that would be interesting to know.

OK - Now I fixed the modal issue. Modals now have the data-reveal attribute in F5 and didn't in F4. Who the hell needs you guys? Just kidding.

I do think the docs could be improved. Especially, the whole delete the old gem manually business. Otherwise, I think I might be ok. Thanks.