Menu icon Foundation
Advice on using multiple versions

I'm using the Compass+SASS version of Foundation. I had a bit of trouble when migrating from Foundation 3 to 4. The reason being that many of our sites are using Foundation 3, after installing the Foundation 4 gem I was no longer able to go back and change the CSS for the Foundation 3 sites as it would break all of the CSS when compiled.

To get around this I have had to jump through some hoops to install 'Bundler' then get both versions of Foundation. No when I want to edit an older site's CSS I have to use a cumbersome 'bundle exec' command every time. This was enough trouble with 2 version of Foundation.

If we now migrate to Foundation 5 we're going to be in a mess. We'll have sites using 3 different versions of Foundation, all which require 3 different Foundation gems. Managing this will be a nightmare, trying to figure out which version we need and how to run it every time we need to update the CSS.

Is the Bundler + bundle exec setup the only way to do this? As I say, with every Foundation release this is going to get less manageable.

Cheers

compassSassgem

I'm using the Compass+SASS version of Foundation. I had a bit of trouble when migrating from Foundation 3 to 4. The reason being that many of our sites are using Foundation 3, after installing the Foundation 4 gem I was no longer able to go back and change the CSS for the Foundation 3 sites as it would break all of the CSS when compiled.

To get around this I have had to jump through some hoops to install 'Bundler' then get both versions of Foundation. No when I want to edit an older site's CSS I have to use a cumbersome 'bundle exec' command every time. This was enough trouble with 2 version of Foundation.

If we now migrate to Foundation 5 we're going to be in a mess. We'll have sites using 3 different versions of Foundation, all which require 3 different Foundation gems. Managing this will be a nightmare, trying to figure out which version we need and how to run it every time we need to update the CSS.

Is the Bundler + bundle exec setup the only way to do this? As I say, with every Foundation release this is going to get less manageable.

Cheers

Jack Keller almost 6 years ago

My question is similar, I'm midway through a project using Foundation 4 w/ Compass, but so very anxious to start my redesign using Foundation 5, is there any way the pair can coexist? Like if I keep the structure the same in the old project and not upgrade it am I still running Foundation 4 there?

Hopefully this and the above question can be answered before I continue on with reckless abandon, as I do sometimes.

DatenVerarbeitung Jens Fischer almost 6 years ago

Same question from me:

Is there a simple way to handle projects with different versions of Foundation?

Mikey McCorry over 5 years ago

I'd also love an answer to this.

It's the only reason I've dropped Foundation for recent projects. I really love working in Foundation, but I need to be able to support older projects.

Is there a non-gem, standalone SASS version of Foundation 5, like many other frameworks offer?

Is that what this is?: https://github.com/zurb/bower-foundation

Or can I just take the scss folder from the master branch of the repo? (https://github.com/zurb/foundation)

guillermo haas-thompson about 5 years ago

I have used multiple versions of Foundation that co-exist with no problem. Of course, I am using Rails Foundation gem and I use Chruby and Chgems to manage my different site gems. You could also download custom versions of Foundation 3 or 4 and make your customizations directly since the code for those versions isn't updated anymore.