Menu icon Foundation
Static Site Generator to replace mixture.io

Hi all, being from a design background I needed a simple Static Site Generator to handle the complicated stuff so I could just concentrate on designing my site. I ended up using mixture.io which worked great for me - it had an easy to use interface, and was fairly easy to work with and did a great job of installing the necessaries to get foundation flying. Anyway I built my site, ended up learning some Liquid for mixture and everything seemed to going well.

When I finally got around to going live I found out the hard way, my cloud hosting doesn't support liquid and now mixture.io has been discontinued! (Which is a shame as I liked it.) So, still no live site and I feel like I've gone back about ten steps as I had all my header, footer includes set up via liquid, so I will probably have to go back and modify everything back to HTML.

To get to the point, is anyone able to recommend a Static Site Generator that works in similar way to mixture - i.e handles all the installations, minimising etc but real easy to use (like, no line commands). Am looking possibly at Cactus... but any help / suggestions appreciated. Many thanks!

mixturestatic site generatorliquid

Hi all, being from a design background I needed a simple Static Site Generator to handle the complicated stuff so I could just concentrate on designing my site. I ended up using mixture.io which worked great for me - it had an easy to use interface, and was fairly easy to work with and did a great job of installing the necessaries to get foundation flying. Anyway I built my site, ended up learning some Liquid for mixture and everything seemed to going well.

When I finally got around to going live I found out the hard way, my cloud hosting doesn't support liquid and now mixture.io has been discontinued! (Which is a shame as I liked it.) So, still no live site and I feel like I've gone back about ten steps as I had all my header, footer includes set up via liquid, so I will probably have to go back and modify everything back to HTML.

To get to the point, is anyone able to recommend a Static Site Generator that works in similar way to mixture - i.e handles all the installations, minimising etc but real easy to use (like, no line commands). Am looking possibly at Cactus... but any help / suggestions appreciated. Many thanks!

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

We're using Assemble.io on the Foundation docs and Marketing site.
http://assemble.io/

We have an open source version of it available you can download, (not clone) and use. Instructions are on that page.

Allan Langley over 4 years ago

Thanks Rafi - I'll take a look.

Mike Jackson about 4 years ago

Hi Allan,

This is a little late, but you can create static HTML files with mixture.io for upload to your host. You do this by converting the site to HTML from the tools menu - the complete site is built in the converted-html folder within your project.

Mixture.io was a great product and team and I'm sorry to see it gone.

Kindly,

Mike

Allan Langley about 4 years ago

Hi Mike - many thanks for your reply! Ah I didn't realise that. I ended up going with Codekit, which required a bit of learning, but it worked out well in the end. I had to redo the page templates into the .kit format but codekit converts automatically to HTML, so a good timesaver after the initial learning curve. Probably best in the long run with Mixture being essentially discontinued - a shame it ended like that though as, like you say, it was great product.

Many thanks again!
Allan

James Stone about 4 years ago

I think if you are looking for a non-command line static site gen, CodeKit is the closest thing to that. It really isn't a static site gen, but will let you use separate files like partials (header, footer, etc.). Just as a heads up for other people looking at this post, CodeKit is commercial software and costs $32 as of the time of this posting. For windows people there is another paid product called Prepros. I have not used it, but have heard good things. CodeKit is Mac only.

If you end up wanting to build out a much more complicated site, a huge blog, logic, take markdown files and generate pages, lots of layouts, both middleman (ruby based) and assemble.io are both worth looking at. Both of these solutions are free and open source.

Mike Jackson about 4 years ago

Hi Allan/James,

I started with Codekit but moved to Mixture.io when I discovered it was available. I found Mixture was easier to get started with and useful for prototyping with Bootstrap.

Thanks James for the other suggestions.

Kind regards,

Mike

Allan Langley about 4 years ago

Thanks James - a very helpful response. I found codekit to be just what I was looking for and at $32 pretty reasonable as it certainly saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Thanks Mike for your reply too - I did the opposite switching from mixture to codekit for the reasons mentioned above - mainly mixture being wound down so ultimately unsupported. I did like it though! Shame it wasn't viable for them to continue with it. That said I've found codekit very easy to set up foundation so all good so far.

Thanks again guys.
Allan