Menu icon Foundation
Do I need to include Modernizr to make FF5 work (if I add a HTML5 shim to my page)?

Hi there,

Do I need to include Modernizr to make FF5 work (if I add a HTML5 shim to my page)?

I can't seem to find much detail about this online. Is it just feature detection, or does Foundation actually use this to make any difference or create polyfills etc?

ps. I'm loving the new FF5! Thank you :-)

Mhairi

modernizrpolyfillsHTML5 shimHTML5 shivie7ie8IE9feature detection

Hi there,

I can't seem to find much detail about this online. Is it just feature detection, or does Foundation actually use this to make any difference or create polyfills etc?

ps. I'm loving the new FF5! Thank you :-)

Mhairi

Rafi Benkual about 4 years ago

From my understanding, html5shiv and Modernizr have feature parity. In terms of how Foundation depends on it -

• Device detection for touch
  • Orientation detection for visibility and media queries

Basically the feature detects.

Mhairi Longmuir about 4 years ago

Hi,

Thank you so much for your email. Though I'm not quite sure what you mean about them having 'feature parity'? What does this mean?

Does it just detect the features or does it detect and also trigger something to happen?

I saw a thing about visibility classes, does this mean that the inbuilt visibility classes wont work if one of both of them is turned off?

many thanks

Rafi Benkual about 4 years ago

Feature parity means they have the same features.

The mobile visibility classes, media queries (orientation), and touch detection rely on Modernizr.

There are tons of things Modernizr can do that Foundation is not using as well.

Mhairi Longmuir about 4 years ago

OK, thank you, I'll leave it in then :-)