Menu icon Foundation
Forum speed and search improvements!!

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to update on some of the recent improvements to our Forum. We had some issues on Monday night and were down for around 12 hours. During that time we decided to spin up a new server, upgrade our search plugin, and improve security settings.

What this means for you:

- faster loading - pages are now loading 5 times faster to help you find valuable posts
- improved search - all search results now index properly so you can find the right answer fast. We'll keep tweaking the sorting to make it even better over the coming weeks.
- improved security - we beefed up our spam filtering so you'll see less (hopefully none) spam posts and comments

Not to mention the notification system we added a few weeks back.

Future improvements include:

- @replies to specific people - communicate with any forum member across the board
- badges and awards - some kudos for helping people out :)
- Adding avatars to comments - give the comments a more personal touch, improve recognition, you get it
- ability to upload images into comments

Hope you enjoy the upgrades and thanks for being part of this awesome community!

forumUpdatetop-baroff-canvasgrid

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to update on some of the recent improvements to our Forum. We had some issues on Monday night and were down for around 12 hours. During that time we decided to spin up a new server, upgrade our search plugin, and improve security settings.

What this means for you:

- faster loading - pages are now loading 5 times faster to help you find valuable posts
- improved search - all search results now index properly so you can find the right answer fast. We'll keep tweaking the sorting to make it even better over the coming weeks.
- improved security - we beefed up our spam filtering so you'll see less (hopefully none) spam posts and comments

Not to mention the notification system we added a few weeks back.

Future improvements include:

- @replies to specific people - communicate with any forum member across the board
- badges and awards - some kudos for helping people out :)
- Adding avatars to comments - give the comments a more personal touch, improve recognition, you get it
- ability to upload images into comments

Hope you enjoy the upgrades and thanks for being part of this awesome community!

Bob Sawyer over 4 years ago

Well done, guys! Especially looking forward to seeing less spam. It was starting to get out of control!

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Thanks Bob! You've a great help to many people. Other than the future updates I mentioned above, is there anything you can suggest to make our forum better for everyone?

Hmmm... how about highlighting followed posts in the forum view. Something like:

<div class="post-count new-general with-replies">
<a href="/forum/posts/23495-topbar-top-level-items-with-has-dropdown-dont-work-on-touch-devices">
<div class="post-count-container new-general with-replies">
<div class="total-post-count new total-replies"> 11 Replies </div>
<div class="following">Following</div>
</a>
</div>

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Oh, that makes sense. And maybe show if a post was resolved in the main feed too? I want people to know which posts are going to get them the answer fastest when searching.

I'll add this suggestion to the list.

Yes! That would be great.

Also, the info blocks next to the posts in the main feed are a bit confusing to me. Sometimes they say "NEW" with no comments, or "NEW" with "nn Comments" displayed below. I'm assuming "NEW" means that I, as a user, have not viewed that post.

However, sometimes they say "0" (zero) or "1" (or another number), and sometimes with the "nn Comments" box. What does the large number signify? If I've viewed a particular post, the post info box turns white and the title is grayed out. So I'm not sure what I'm looking at there.

Arthur de la Rocha over 4 years ago

Hey Bob,

So on the Forum home page, where you see the feed of forum posts, 'New' indicates a new post that you have not seen. When you see a Number there, it represents the number of replies since you have last viewed it, or new replies. Under that, we show you the total number of replies to the whole thread.

We will be pushing out an iteration to to have 'new replies' next to the number and changing the bottom to say '# total'.

I am also working on the Following block you suggested! Thanks Bob!

Great, thanks for the explanation!