Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 5 sliders causing a modal slowdown in IE9

The details: I'm building an internal app for a client and they've requested that the entire thing be on a single page. I'm using Foundation 5 as the framework, and the client's team uses IE9 exclusively, and they won't be changing any time soon.

Staging Site: http://hers.pixelsmithdesign.com

The Rights tab has both sliders and pop ups for examples

Everything works in IE9, but I noticed an issue that the animation modals were incredibly slow. I've since removed the animations, but the modal pop up is still very slow in IE9.

I troubleshot the page and narrowed it down to a conflict between the range sliders I'm using and the modal pop ups. But it only happens on IE9. In modern browsers there's a barely discernible slowdown, but nothing most users will notice.

Ideally I'd like to keep the modals and sliders and resolve the conflict, but I have no idea where it's coming from. Any insight into what might be causing the slowdown/conflict would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

range slidersmodalsFoundation 5

The details: I'm building an internal app for a client and they've requested that the entire thing be on a single page. I'm using Foundation 5 as the framework, and the client's team uses IE9 exclusively, and they won't be changing any time soon.

Staging Site: http://hers.pixelsmithdesign.com

The Rights tab has both sliders and pop ups for examples

Everything works in IE9, but I noticed an issue that the animation modals were incredibly slow. I've since removed the animations, but the modal pop up is still very slow in IE9.

I troubleshot the page and narrowed it down to a conflict between the range sliders I'm using and the modal pop ups. But it only happens on IE9. In modern browsers there's a barely discernible slowdown, but nothing most users will notice.

Ideally I'd like to keep the modals and sliders and resolve the conflict, but I have no idea where it's coming from. Any insight into what might be causing the slowdown/conflict would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Ross Fisher about 4 years ago

Hey Adam!

This may not be very useful for your use case however it doesn't make sense that your clients are forcing you to work around IE9's horrible standards, considering the actual users of the webapp will likely be using a modern browser.

Per the official docs, Foundation for Apps is not supported on IE9: http://foundation.zurb.com/apps/docs/#!/compatibility

At this point, it may come down to forcing your clients to use a modern (and not to mention safer browser) or find another framework. I fear you won't have a good time with a majority of frameworks wish such an old browser though.

It seems the clients need some education, it'd like someone asking you to build a cd-rom drive when all they have are floppy disks to try it out. Talk some sense into them :)

Adam Blodgett about 4 years ago

Hi Ross,

It doesn't make sense because you haven't read the brief. The site we're building is internal and the majority of the users are still on IE9, and the company doesn't have any plans to upgrade. So the requirement that it work on IE9 makes complete sense. Although it would be lovely if they all upgraded, that's simply not an option.

I apologize for the confusion, but I'm not building an app, even tho that's what I said in my original post. It's simply a website based on Foundation 5, not Foundation for apps. So IE9 is supported for Foundation 5, which is why the slowdown is a bummer.

A.