Menu icon Foundation
Foundation cli, is it Ruby? What do I lose by not using ruby?

I haven't used foundation for ages, so I'm basically starting again from scratch and (once again) finding the pages that explain the installation options to be hugely overcomplicated and unclear.

I think I've worked out the basics. But I have a couple of basic (probably dumb) questions.

Is the Foundation CLI runing on Ruby or Node?
(The first section of the getting started with sass pages says i NEED to install ruby. then says to install the Foundation ruby gem and use a "foundation My_project" command to start a project. So I guess it's ruby)
(The next section then says i DON'T NEED ruby and can use libsass and grunt (running on node, I guess). But those instructions still say to use a "foundation My_project" command. So it can't be ruby.)

Most confusing.

Assuming it's ruby, If I decide to ignore ruby and go with just grunt+libsass, what am I losing?
Compass styles?
Compass watch for automatically compling sass (but grunt and libsass will do that instead, right?)
The foundation generator? (If I use Yeoman on node then I can use that to autogenerate foundation projects, right?)

So am i basically losing just compass styles?

My inclination is to avoid ruby (which I don't use or know and seems like overkill) and go with pure javascript (Node, Npm, Bower, Grunt, Yeoman). Is that a dumb move?

(PS/ When googling around I found a foundation-cli for apps on github, which seemed to be javascript)

compass vs libsassSassrequirementsgetting started

I haven't used foundation for ages, so I'm basically starting again from scratch and (once again) finding the pages that explain the installation options to be hugely overcomplicated and unclear.

I think I've worked out the basics. But I have a couple of basic (probably dumb) questions.

Is the Foundation CLI runing on Ruby or Node?
(The first section of the getting started with sass pages says i NEED to install ruby. then says to install the Foundation ruby gem and use a "foundation My_project" command to start a project. So I guess it's ruby)
(The next section then says i DON'T NEED ruby and can use libsass and grunt (running on node, I guess). But those instructions still say to use a "foundation My_project" command. So it can't be ruby.)

Most confusing.

Assuming it's ruby, If I decide to ignore ruby and go with just grunt+libsass, what am I losing?
Compass styles?
Compass watch for automatically compling sass (but grunt and libsass will do that instead, right?)
The foundation generator? (If I use Yeoman on node then I can use that to autogenerate foundation projects, right?)

So am i basically losing just compass styles?

My inclination is to avoid ruby (which I don't use or know and seems like overkill) and go with pure javascript (Node, Npm, Bower, Grunt, Yeoman). Is that a dumb move?

(PS/ When googling around I found a foundation-cli for apps on github, which seemed to be javascript)

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

It can be confusing because the available technology at the time it was built. The new version coming soon has been greatly simplified.

The CLI is built with Ruby. So therefor it is a dependency of the CLI no matter what version you use.

The Libsass version does not use ruby sass to compile so that is why it's not needed there, but the CLI does. So either way it's a dependancy.

We are using Libsass mostly because the speed and it has that is at near feature parity with RubySass

Sure it doesn't have the Compass mixins, but I'm not sure how many people use them anyways.

Just like you mentioned, the Foundation Apps CLI has fewer dependancies and is built on node.

The new version of Foundation Sites will have a CLI built on Node and only have 2 dependancies: node and git.

bill over 4 years ago

Thanks. Very helpful. It's mostly all clear now.

Based on that then, do we know if the next version of foundation will have a node CLI?
Do we know if Foundation for Sites is going to replace Foundation, or will they continue in parallel?
As someone just getting started, should I be thinking about Foundation for Sites, or just stick with regular Foundation for now?

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Foundation is a family of frameworks, Sites, Apps (for web apps), and Emails

The new Foundation for Sites is an update to the current version. People can still choose to use Foundation for Sites 3, 4, 5, or 6 as needed.

The new version of Foundation Sites 6 will have a CLI built on Node and only have 2 dependancies: node and git.

I would continue using 5 as it 6 wont require you to re-learn much of anything.