Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 5 + ASP.NET Vnext

Asp foundation

Interested in Microsoft's new opensource projects ASP.NET MVC 5+ - or Visual Studio Vnext 2015? Love Foundation? Then this is for you!

Introducing Yeoman generator-aspnet-xtianus --> NPM: https://www.npmjs.com/package/generator-aspnet-xtianus -- Git Repo: https://github.com/xtianus79/generator-aspnet <<< Includes Starter Web Application - Foundation 5 template!

Readme: https://github.com/xtianus79/generator-aspnet/blob/master/README.md

OmniSharp: Cross Platform .NET development --> http://www.omnisharp.net/

Original Generator: https://github.com/OmniSharp/generator-aspnet

Now I know you may be thinking... Visual Studio 2015 isn't even out yet - but it is and in full preview mode which you can download for free.

What about if you use a Mac or Linux or Ubuntu? It doesn't matter. Microsoft has made a herculean effort not only to embrace open source for their most prized development suite and ide Visual Studio & .NET development suite but to provide the full framework across multiple experiences.

This means ASP.NET and Visual Studio is able to be installed on Sublime Text, Atom, Visual Studio 2015 and others through the OmniSharp project, Mono and others. So, yes you can get Visual Studio and ASP.NET running on a Mac.

So where does foundation come in? One initiative VS is embracing is the idea of NPM, Grunt, Gulp and Bower package managers. So, you can install any bower and grunt package right from the VS IDE or your preferred IDE and compile C# while running a Foundation bower package. Awesome sauce!!!

Now, one of my favorite Foundation Yeoman generators is Julian's ZF5 generator and I use it on all of my projects. However, I needed more and I needed the Foundation framework to integrate into Visual Studio experience. So I developed a super generator with Foundation 5 web (as of now) as the focus.

Our generator goes far beyond the official ASP.NET generator that has a template which defaults to "Bootstrap." Although that template and all other generator templates are left in tact and will have a continuous maintenance to the upstream git repository for an fully "extended experience." Meaning, you won't have to choose between our generator and theirs... If you use generator-aspnet-xtianus you will get the fully functional generator-aspnet.

Why have another generator when you could just do a pull request to include your templates? Well, Microsoft didn't want to do it that way. Instead they will list other generators on their readme and wiki pages to include other qualified generators. These generators are free to work in the manner in which they choose and operate how they want.

This worked out well for me because one of the main differences for my template vs theirs is that you install projects in my template in the working directory so NPM and Bower and run automatically after installation.

Now there is a lot going on here so take your time and read through things. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

The goal of generator-aspnet-xtianus is to have a place where Foundation generators can be housed and used on .NET projects. Initially, and the first template is called - Starter Web Application - Foundation 5. There is room for others so if you're interested in making additional templates such as foundation apps would b ea welcome idea.

In summary, there is a new Yeoman Generator which spins up ASP.NET projects called generator-aspnet and I have extended this to become generator-aspnet-xtianus which includes the Starter Web Application - Foundation 5 Template.

I hope you enjoy and more people participate in promoting Foundation development with .NET development!!!

Foundationaspnetasp.netvisual_studiovisualstudiovsfoundation5SassscssGruntboweryeomangeneratorgenerator-aspnet-xtianus

Asp foundation

Interested in Microsoft's new opensource projects ASP.NET MVC 5+ - or Visual Studio Vnext 2015? Love Foundation? Then this is for you!

Introducing Yeoman generator-aspnet-xtianus --> NPM: https://www.npmjs.com/package/generator-aspnet-xtianus -- Git Repo: https://github.com/xtianus79/generator-aspnet <<< Includes Starter Web Application - Foundation 5 template!

Readme: https://github.com/xtianus79/generator-aspnet/blob/master/README.md

OmniSharp: Cross Platform .NET development --> http://www.omnisharp.net/

Original Generator: https://github.com/OmniSharp/generator-aspnet

Now I know you may be thinking... Visual Studio 2015 isn't even out yet - but it is and in full preview mode which you can download for free.

What about if you use a Mac or Linux or Ubuntu? It doesn't matter. Microsoft has made a herculean effort not only to embrace open source for their most prized development suite and ide Visual Studio & .NET development suite but to provide the full framework across multiple experiences.

This means ASP.NET and Visual Studio is able to be installed on Sublime Text, Atom, Visual Studio 2015 and others through the OmniSharp project, Mono and others. So, yes you can get Visual Studio and ASP.NET running on a Mac.

So where does foundation come in? One initiative VS is embracing is the idea of NPM, Grunt, Gulp and Bower package managers. So, you can install any bower and grunt package right from the VS IDE or your preferred IDE and compile C# while running a Foundation bower package. Awesome sauce!!!

Now, one of my favorite Foundation Yeoman generators is Julian's ZF5 generator and I use it on all of my projects. However, I needed more and I needed the Foundation framework to integrate into Visual Studio experience. So I developed a super generator with Foundation 5 web (as of now) as the focus.

Our generator goes far beyond the official ASP.NET generator that has a template which defaults to "Bootstrap." Although that template and all other generator templates are left in tact and will have a continuous maintenance to the upstream git repository for an fully "extended experience." Meaning, you won't have to choose between our generator and theirs... If you use generator-aspnet-xtianus you will get the fully functional generator-aspnet.

Why have another generator when you could just do a pull request to include your templates? Well, Microsoft didn't want to do it that way. Instead they will list other generators on their readme and wiki pages to include other qualified generators. These generators are free to work in the manner in which they choose and operate how they want.

This worked out well for me because one of the main differences for my template vs theirs is that you install projects in my template in the working directory so NPM and Bower and run automatically after installation.

Now there is a lot going on here so take your time and read through things. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

The goal of generator-aspnet-xtianus is to have a place where Foundation generators can be housed and used on .NET projects. Initially, and the first template is called - Starter Web Application - Foundation 5. There is room for others so if you're interested in making additional templates such as foundation apps would b ea welcome idea.

In summary, there is a new Yeoman Generator which spins up ASP.NET projects called generator-aspnet and I have extended this to become generator-aspnet-xtianus which includes the Starter Web Application - Foundation 5 Template.

I hope you enjoy and more people participate in promoting Foundation development with .NET development!!!

JBennett about 4 years ago

I did what you said and patched your upstream changes in by hand. This is of course after the generator has built everything initally- now it builds on the Mac in VS Code. Instead of getting all into the extraneous details of "why" you can just go to my github and take a look at the files. There are a lot of extra includes that can be trimmed but it builds and I see the Foundation Template so we will go from here: https://github.com/wolfspider/zf5gen-redux

JBennett over 4 years ago

@Christian Actually- I was meaning to say the homebrew version of DNX was out of date at the time (mono beta-4) with the NPM but I went through your repo yesterday to take a look at the updates you mentioned. I will post more details about what is going wrong and what is going right in github. What has helped so far is now I have a baseline of the OmniSharp generator on Mac and Windows (VS 2015) with the exact some code in both projects. I even am connecting to SQL Server on the Mac because I have been using Mono for years now and know it has enough basic functionality to work (connect, pull account via credentials) even if EF is being redone. I am thinking what I am experiencing has something to do with my setup, I am using VS Code on the Mac which is basically Atom rebranded with some minor differences. I am trying to get our designers off of full blown VS and we are updating to TFS 2013 with GIT integration so I apologize my time is extremely divided but I'm committed to getting this up and running, and also learning as much as I can about vNext (there is a lot to take in). So, to summarize, everything looks good on your end but as for getting this all "turn key" on VS Code I'm going to need to document this step-by-step and will get back to you about it hopefully soon. Thanks again, this project is very helpful I've already learned a lot so far going through it.

Christian Matthias over 4 years ago

@JBennett do you mean my npm package or the git package which are totally not inline with each other. As the NPM is still kvm and git is now the DNX.

@JBennett I have had an issue with VS 2015 RC chocking on my current npm build which is a hefty grunt npm / bower installation. With that said, my git repository has been updated to the new DNX/DNVM system which is now I believe on beta5... although mine is up to date with beta4 as you mentioned. Until MS shows me a stable version of VS 2015 I am not updating the NPM version but I will continue to have the git fork in line with the aspnet/omnisharp version. Why this issue persists so close to launch is beyond me.

With that said, if you are using an IDE other than VS 2015 RC everything works fine.... Such as sublime or atom.

Let me know if you have any issues but the again the git build should be up to date with the new DNX system and is much better than the old kvm dnu system.

Yeah the past two days I have decided to jump head first into this from the Mac perspective and Microsoft.AspNet.Security.Cookies is on beta3 while the rest of the libs in your generator can be pushed to beta4. Either way, DNX from homebrew is on beta4 (default) currently so without building the runtime from source our team would be hard pressed to have a step-by-step guide with the state of Roslyn currently. Not really a Foundation problem but more of a Mono runtime one. If you know of a way to hack it together let me know otherwise waiting for MS to catch up seems like the thing to do. I will make them an MVC template with your generator that has less Auth going on in the meantime.

Major update coming switching to VS 2015 RC status and KPM / KVM to DNVS / DNX environment variable

Cool thanks. Let me know and I will let the ASP.NET Team know.

As well, I am looking to make a Foundation apps template workflow if anyone is interested in helping with that. I am not totally familiar with the bits and pieces but I think it could be very valuable.

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Yes, we'll add it later this week.

oh and Rafi would Zurb list this as an ASP.NET generator! that would be some great cross promotion and get people to help out with other template projects.

@JBennett thanks and let me know how it goes. I am glad it could help.

@Rafi and @JBennett .. next I want to get a template based on a similar setup but with Foundation Apps.

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Wow, nice work!

Just wanted to say thank you for this. We have been using Foundation and SharePoint together at http://alachuacounty.us and so far we have yet to implement CI. Since most of us switch between Mac and PC I could see this potentially working out for us. We have our own custom build of Foundation 5 which works with SharePoint 2010 so we are mostly working out of Visual Studio. Web workbench auto-builds the Sass with any changes that occur, however automating a project for CI is a different story. Once again, thanks for your hard work.