Menu icon Foundation
Tip if you've installed Foundation 5 on Ruby pre-1.9

I encountered an issue while installing Foundation 5, which I thought others may encounter. Ultimately, the problem was that I installed it without first verifying that I was running Ruby 1.9+ — turns out I was running Ruby 1.8.7.

If you've done that and you're trying to fix it up, here's what I found necessary:

1. Uninstall foundation
2. Install a more recent version of Ruby. I installed 2.0.0-p247. I used the instructions at http://blog.zerosharp.com/installing-ruby-with-homebrew-and-rbenv-on-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/ and just substituted in the different version.
3. Make sure the new version of Ruby is the one the system is using by running ruby -v. If you followed the above guide, that should show 2.0.0-p247.
4. Reinstall foundation.

I ran into trouble because I didn't uninstall foundation first. It seems that as long as you haven't uninstalled foundation, foundation still remains associated with the older version of Ruby.

Anyway, just putting that out there in case anyone else runs into similar issues.

Cheers,
Eric

Foundation 5installationruby

I encountered an issue while installing Foundation 5, which I thought others may encounter. Ultimately, the problem was that I installed it without first verifying that I was running Ruby 1.9+ — turns out I was running Ruby 1.8.7.

If you've done that and you're trying to fix it up, here's what I found necessary:

1. Uninstall foundation
2. Install a more recent version of Ruby. I installed 2.0.0-p247. I used the instructions at http://blog.zerosharp.com/installing-ruby-with-homebrew-and-rbenv-on-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/ and just substituted in the different version.
3. Make sure the new version of Ruby is the one the system is using by running ruby -v. If you followed the above guide, that should show 2.0.0-p247.
4. Reinstall foundation.

I ran into trouble because I didn't uninstall foundation first. It seems that as long as you haven't uninstalled foundation, foundation still remains associated with the older version of Ruby.

Anyway, just putting that out there in case anyone else runs into similar issues.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Daams over 5 years ago

No idea how to format these forum posts!