Menu icon Foundation
How in blazes to upgrade 4 to 5 to fix bugs?

CRIKEY!! I'M LOST....

I'm just a lowly web designer. I worked on a site using version 4, nothing fancy, just CSS - I didn't install all these other things, like SASS or whatever else there is, I have no idea what all those things even mean, all I know is CSS, so that's what I worked with to create a custom WP theme for a client. Now, I've got the menu issue where the mobile icon with the lines is not showing, just the word 'Menu'. The other issue is that the text doesn't resize on the site, at all, it just stays the same.

From what I've read in the forums, the menu icon seems to be a version 4 bug (not sure about the text not resizing) so I was going to download the version 5 files and replace mine with those.. well, nothing happened.

Then I go to check out the Docs and forums and there's all this mention about how easy it is to upgrade, you have to install all these all these bloody things I've never heard of, just to update some files. I'm completely lost.

How does a web designer update the existing version to a new one? It's bad enough I have to go dig through the foundation.css file and try to find all my changes (because separating my own css wasn't working) but now I can't even update to fix these issues so I'm at a stand still with this project. Totally lost on the upgrade issue. I am just using basic CSS, none of those other fancy programmer options that were there. I just downloaded the foundation files and a free template for version 4 (this was before 5 was out, obviously) and I altered it to our design.

I cannot find any documentation here about how to upgrade this without installing stuff on my computer (which makes no sense, since this is all uploaded to a website????) and there's nothing in the forums, that I can find. I just want to replace the old files with new ones, which theoretically should work right? I've never had this issue with any other HTML coding I've done, and I've been doing this for almost 20 years. But bloody hell, I feel like a damned fool at this point.

Foundation 4Foundation 5upgradeUpdate

CRIKEY!! I'M LOST....

I'm just a lowly web designer. I worked on a site using version 4, nothing fancy, just CSS - I didn't install all these other things, like SASS or whatever else there is, I have no idea what all those things even mean, all I know is CSS, so that's what I worked with to create a custom WP theme for a client. Now, I've got the menu issue where the mobile icon with the lines is not showing, just the word 'Menu'. The other issue is that the text doesn't resize on the site, at all, it just stays the same.

From what I've read in the forums, the menu icon seems to be a version 4 bug (not sure about the text not resizing) so I was going to download the version 5 files and replace mine with those.. well, nothing happened.

Then I go to check out the Docs and forums and there's all this mention about how easy it is to upgrade, you have to install all these all these bloody things I've never heard of, just to update some files. I'm completely lost.

How does a web designer update the existing version to a new one? It's bad enough I have to go dig through the foundation.css file and try to find all my changes (because separating my own css wasn't working) but now I can't even update to fix these issues so I'm at a stand still with this project. Totally lost on the upgrade issue. I am just using basic CSS, none of those other fancy programmer options that were there. I just downloaded the foundation files and a free template for version 4 (this was before 5 was out, obviously) and I altered it to our design.

I cannot find any documentation here about how to upgrade this without installing stuff on my computer (which makes no sense, since this is all uploaded to a website????) and there's nothing in the forums, that I can find. I just want to replace the old files with new ones, which theoretically should work right? I've never had this issue with any other HTML coding I've done, and I've been doing this for almost 20 years. But bloody hell, I feel like a damned fool at this point.

Rafi Benkual about 5 years ago

So to upgrade a css version is as easy as downloading the Foundation 5 css package and copying your html into the Foundation 5 projects and adding your custom css folder.

You can overwrite your Foundation 4 project with the new JS, CSS and index file head and js calls.

You do not need to install SASS if you don't want to. It just makes customizing components quicker and easier.

Jade about 5 years ago

I think since this was my first time using Foundation I panicked when I read all that, thanks for clearing that up :) Awesome!