Menu icon Foundation
Looking for help Making a Joomla Foundation 5 Setup

I have decided to go with foundation. I am looking for something a little bit bare and well organised to go with Joomla. I love joomla extensions and CMS system. I think if this integration can be done correctly a lot of people would use it.

There is a project called siegeengine at siegeengine.org but I feel I might want something a little different and little bit more accurate to being "bare bones" setup for a Foundation framework.

I have lots of questions and need lots of help. if anyone is interested in doing this project please let me know.

Sincerely, I appreciate the help.

joomlacms

I have decided to go with foundation. I am looking for something a little bit bare and well organised to go with Joomla. I love joomla extensions and CMS system. I think if this integration can be done correctly a lot of people would use it.

There is a project called siegeengine at siegeengine.org but I feel I might want something a little different and little bit more accurate to being "bare bones" setup for a Foundation framework.

I have lots of questions and need lots of help. if anyone is interested in doing this project please let me know.

Sincerely, I appreciate the help.

Rafi Benkual over 5 years ago

We have some awesome Joomla contributors listed here http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/tools.html

If you go to their pages and click their names you can contact them there.

Christian Matthias over 5 years ago

I need something better than that. The documentation and the understanding of how this "changes" joomla's core is very lacking. I understand your documentation very well and could code straight from it easily. However, combing this beast properly with Joomla is a whole other matter.

Roberto Segura over 5 years ago

Hi Christian,

I think it's a great idea to combine both. If siegeengine is not enojgh information you maybe can contact Antony Doyle to ask him.

Some days ago René @renekreijveld said that he was starting his own project for Zurb5. So maybe you can also talk with him.

Joomla is deeply tied to Twitter Bootstrap but we willl be happy to help in any issue you found undecoupling bootstrap from core. So if you find not overridable please report it.

I agree that Zurb + Joomla is an awesome mix.

Good luck and keep us notified about your progress.

Feel free to contact me on Twitter @phproberto

Thanks!

@betweenbrain Also tweeted us:

@foundationzurb Sorry for the delay. Have you seen siegeengine.org, a Foundation4 framework for Joomla?

@Christian, what about siegeengine.org did you want to customize? Maybe @betweenbrain can help out with that.

Robin Hood over 5 years ago

I've used Foundation to create a bare-bones joomla! template, I will look into creating an updated one with the latest versions of both Foundation and Joomla!
I will post the Github-link here. I will make sure to include documentation

I have a conceptual question. something is off here. I had this discussion with someone and they are acting as if I am "wrong" about this. To create a bare bones template would imply that one would be using pure html to code their pages for the site. I mean what would you do with a bare bones template otherwise? you could css and hack it to your delight but the reality is you would still be confined to that templates structure.

I could give a crap about joomla's structure. All that I want from Joomla or Wordpress are the components plugins and modules. I HATE the design of templates and modules positions.

The grid is always vertical in design... never horizontal. The modules are always vertical hardly ever horizontal.

I feel the foundation / bootstrap system grids are PERFECT for designing a site.

Why can't a person just put the html code in and keep the pages organized via the articles system? I have built beautiful websites like this and I don't want to turn back.

People really need to learn to code. Hacking templates is so 2013.

Rene Kreijveld over 5 years ago

I'm also working on a master template based on Foundation 5 and Joomla 3.2.x. I have adopted many of the best solutions found in Joomla master templates.

In my master template I have implemented features like load modernizr, Font Awesome, merge Javascripts and CSS and so on. I also setup the necessary template parameters to load (and optionally merge) the Foundation javascripts. I will try to put my code on Github later today.

Currently I am working on template overrides to have Joomla output html code that is optimised for the Foundation css classes.

Seth Warburton over 5 years ago

Hi Christian,

I'd agree with previous posters in saying that Siegeengine is a great reference point to create a Foundation based template for Joomla.

I've personally gone down the route of creating a custom-built CSS framework for my own templates, so I've faced much of the same issues you will, namely removing the Bootstrap influence from core outputs. This is done, in all templates, with content and layout overrides which allow you to manipulate the html output by Joomla components and third-party extensions.

I've tried to keep my own code as framework-agnostic as possible, as I am firm believer in clean semantic html and the separation of concerns; keeping design and function separate.

You might want to take a look at my template when building your own as, in theory, creating a Foundation 5 template from it is as simple as deleting my /css /scss and /js directories, dropping in those from Foundation and updating the links to those assets in index.php and logic.php. You can find my template framework on Github:

https://github.com/nternetinspired/OneWeb

Applying Foundation styles to output html elements is then simply a matter of using Sass @extend. Clean html output / all of Foundation styles = win:win.

Remco Janssen over 5 years ago

I have done some template design based on Rene Kreijveld's work (posted above). Did some experimenting with MijoShop template and loving it.

Planning on doing a lot more with it. I am a creative thinker and my contribution at the moment can be as a person to bounce ideas of...

Am setting up a new company at the moment which takes up a lot of my time...

As an introduction: I am an interaction designer and have been using Joomla templates (JoomlaXTC and YooTheme) for a few years to create websites for my clients. I do have extensive php/mysql/html/css skills and have been working with jQuery for a few months now and loving it.

Roberto Segura over 5 years ago

Hi Christian,

first take the time required to understand the tools you want to use. Saying things like:

"I HATE the design of templates and modules positions."
"The grid is always vertical in design... never horizontal. The modules are always vertical hardly ever horizontal. "

suggest that you don't know what are you talking about. You hate templates? What templates? All the existing Joomla templates? Grid is not always vertical, grid is whatever you design it.

I think you made your own idea about how Joomla! works without wasting 1 hour to see how really works.

Your Twitter message: "Ok. So how I disable bootstrap?"

Is really funny. Sure, you didn't waste time knowing Joomla!, you didn't waste time reviewing how previous Zurb integrations do it but you want others to waste their time to do the job for you or explain you in 140 chars how to do it.

Don't ask advice if you already know everything.

Well apparently my message got deleted.

@Roberto...

" Robert Stark
ABOUT 19 HOURS AGO
Hi,

I have created a few sites using Foundation & Joomla:

bernscott.com (Joomla CMS 3.2/Mijoshop E-Commerce/FLEXIcontent)
tgs-bases.com (Joomla CMS 3.2 + FLEXIcontent)
rite2water.com (Joomla CMS 2.5 + FLEXIcontent)
qbkmotors.com (Joomla CMS 2.5 + FLEXIcontent)
I created custom templates for each of these projects. Joomla 3.2 is coupled with bootstrap - so you will have a lot of custom overrides to swap. "

Wow... lol I love it. @Roberto ... Guess I am not the only one that hates bootstrap.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/joomla-dev-cms/jpZ4_NF3jKQ%5B26-50-false%5D

http://osdir.com/ml/joomla-development/2012-12/msg00475.html

"On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:02:36 PM UTC-5, Alex Crawford wrote:I am creating a template from scratch. I am using Foundation Zurb as it is much better than Bootstrap. I've removed any trace of JHtml::('bootstrap.etc); from my template's index.php, and only have in place JHtml::('jquery.framework', false);.
* The problem: This is still showing up in my ...

I see many components load bootstrap or a piece of bootstrap, such as JHtml::_('bootstrap.tooltip');

I tried creating a plugin which onAfterRender() { would parse $doc->getHeadData();. However, Bootstrap DOES NOT appear. Somehow, Bootstrap is being added AFTER onAfterRender() {...

Please, I need any suggestion or workaround to prevent bootstrap from loading at all.

Your designing a template? In that case your wasting your time with plugins, you already have everything you need.
JHtml::('bootrrap.framework') will call:JHtml::('jquery.framework');JHtml::('script', 'jui/bootstrap.min.js', false, true, false, false, $debug);
Skipping 2 the second half, that loads the bootstrap _javascript
The important bits here are:the path is 'jui/bootstrap.min.js'and the $relative flag has been set to true.
This means it is going to end up calling:JHtml::includeRelativeFiles
The string min. is in the string, so the ACTUAL file it looks for will be either:'bootstrap.js'
'bootstrap.min.js'"

Robert Stark over 5 years ago

Hi Christian,

I don't want to be dragged into a Joomla/Bootstrap flame war with the respected developers above.

So, to clarify I don't hate bootstrap - I just choose to use Foundation - and I have outlined my way of removing it:

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/2412-cms-joomla--wp-theory-of-workflow-and-custom-html-pages

If someone has a better way - I would love to know.

I have gained a great deal from Seth's template where he uncouples Joomla/Bootstrap. I have also learnt a great deal from Antony's Doyle's siege-engine. I have also learnt from Joomla Bamboo and blank.vc. Now - I create my own custom templates based on ideas from these - and I chose to use Foundation. Also - Roberto knows much more about Joomla & php than I do.

The great thing about Joomla is its open source and it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I think Brian's Teeman's Post is the best:

http://brian.teeman.net/joomla/815-is-joomla-really-easy

Remember the name Joomla means "all together" or "as a whole" - so try to post in a positive way.

Ultimately it comes down to how you sell sites to your clients and the approach you want to take. There isn't a right or wrong answer. If you come up with a better way to do Joomla! - please share your ideas.

Regards,

Robert

Thank you @Robert... I totally. Agree. However, uh oh!!! I have a strong response to things I feel aren't getting a fair chance to be heard and answered. You have tried beyond reason to share your thoughts and answers towards helping me understand and giving me suggestions to go forward.

Reading through piles of forums and group messages I have found this thread in relation to the topic posted.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/joomla-dev-cms/wPozAQVhWcA

Apparently this is a firestorm issue in the Joomla community and everyone has an opinion.

What I found very interesting is that these discussions were happening in 2012... Since then I think the problem has totally exacerbated to the point of boil. I found Foundation by my dislike of the bootstrap integration. With that said I still like the idea of Frameworks being done and ready for me. Just not style to high hell like BS is.

So... LOL with that said I am still reading these threads to see where things have gone. It will be interested to see what works out.

Hey everyone! Vincent is working on an interesting project with Joomla and Foundation. What do you think about it?

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/3028-bootstrap-outter-frame-and-wrap-foundationzurb-as-a-inner-frame-on-joomla-yeeditor

Christian Matthias about 5 years ago

@Rafi to be honest NO... I don't like gimmicks. They are usually just ways to get people to pay for something that doesn't help people learn and or understand. So I fundamentally disagree with the approach in general... people really need to learn to code. that is how you build beautiful things.

Ben Schram about 5 years ago

Hey,
Not sure if you are still looking for a Joomla template based on foundation, but I thought I'd share the one I've been using for a while. It is a fork of Siege Engine, updated to Foundation 5 with some added features. Check it our here: https://github.com/bschram/revamp-framework, and let me know what you think.

Christian Matthias about 5 years ago

@Ben Schram

I appreciate the engine. The issue with the engine and just things in general is that once you start feeding off of someone else's work you just don't learn what you need to learn in order to produce sites that are truly unique and custom.

The fact is you have to be the one who creates module positions and plants in your own code. I have come to the realization of that now...

A friend has given me his page which totally got me up to speed on the Joomla / PHP I will need in order to make and create my template.

http://jure-stern.si/blog/how-to-use-php-code-in-joomla-template-design/

I have been hacking away and the most challenging part of creating the site has been the integration of a menu into Joomla. this i have done and will post a tutorial on it soon. I can integrate foundation menu and jetmenu so far. I love jet menu however one thing REALLY bothers me about it and thus has prevented me from using it. It doesn't wrap in a Div... which is just dumb in my opinion... Thus needless to say integrating anything in it such as Joomla or WP makes it almost impossible. So I stuck it out with Foundation and so far I have wielded it to my needs.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress.