Menu icon Foundation
_settings.scss and Foundation Updates

Hi there!

This is just to clarify: When I do a Foundation update (bower update) all foundation files are updated and with
them most of the variables used in the _settings.scss file.

The issue here is that the _settings.scss is not rewritten during foundation update(this is good) and so you risk to loose all your tweaks to the framework (colors, typography, etc. etc.) just because some variables changed name
in the foundation update - also the update doesn't write a new _settings.scss so that many people understand that
it is necessary to work on that file.

is it right or maybe there's a "right way" to do foundation updates?
Also I ended copyng the _settings.scss file from another more recent project but I think there should be a more
convenient way to get a completely new settings file when doing updates.

bye
Francesco

settingsSassscss

Hi there!

This is just to clarify: When I do a Foundation update (bower update) all foundation files are updated and with
them most of the variables used in the _settings.scss file.

The issue here is that the _settings.scss is not rewritten during foundation update(this is good) and so you risk to loose all your tweaks to the framework (colors, typography, etc. etc.) just because some variables changed name
in the foundation update - also the update doesn't write a new _settings.scss so that many people understand that
it is necessary to work on that file.

is it right or maybe there's a "right way" to do foundation updates?
Also I ended copyng the _settings.scss file from another more recent project but I think there should be a more
convenient way to get a completely new settings file when doing updates.

bye
Francesco

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

You're correct, _setting will not be overwritten because that would wipe out your customizations. If you absolutely need the new variables you can add them in manually or get the whole file here: https://github.com/zurb/foundation/blob/master/scss/foundation/_settings.scss

There's not really a good way to programmatically see what variables have been changed or added and add them automatically. In future versions we plan to be letting fewer variable changes happen anyways.

Jacob Moen over 4 years ago

I created a Foundation project manually, and the settings file is in the bower_components\foundation\scss\foundation directory.
I just copied that over.
I assume that that one is updated?