I need some clue getting all the sass files, specially the settings.scss

before in windows it was:

compass create MY_PROJECT -r zurb-foundation --using foundation

But now I have no clue :c
I put

foundation new MY_PROJECT

AND

foundation new MY_PROJECT --libsass

And got and empty folder named MY_PROJECT with both.

And this is what I actually get in the prompt

Error sm

installSassFoundationprompt

Hi everybody

I need some clue getting all the sass files, specially the settings.scss

before in windows it was:

compass create MY_PROJECT -r zurb-foundation --using foundation

But now I have no clue :c
I put

AND

foundation new MY_PROJECT --libsass

And got and empty folder named MY_PROJECT with both.

And this is what I actually get in the prompt

Error sm
Alex Plaza almost 4 years ago

please a video for poor windows users.

Sebastien Dufourcq almost 4 years ago

Same issue here with Ruby 2.0.0 ! I've tried to do some troubleshooting and went back to Ruby 1.9.3
Now, I have an other issue:
"Please install bower. (psst, run: sudo npm install -g bower) Aborting."
...and yes bower is installed and working

System:
Windows 7 x64
GIT 1.8.4
Ruby 1.9.3
Node.JS 0.10.22 (x64)

José Eduardo Biasioli almost 4 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem as Alex Plaza. My hands are tied now... I think windows users really need a deeper explanation on how to make things up and running.

Ronan almost 4 years ago

Same problem here. I just started with Foundation 4 last week so i am fairly new to it all. I have everything installed on Linux Centos and setup my first foundation 5 project with the compass method. Now im confused as the documentation dosent explain anything else from this point on from what i can see?

How is Bower involved in the process? I have an scss folder in my project root but no css folder. If i go to bower_components/foundation i see a scss and css folder but i dont see the _settings.scss file in any of these. In my old setup in the command line i would use "compass watch" to compile my css file but i dont know how this is now done. I dont even know where the css is supposed to be compiled to?

Maybe its because i am new to Foundation that i am having difficulties with all this? Is there something in the documentation i have missed?

Thanks!

I've found the root cause and a workaround ! (For those who managed to install bower)

Bower is installed via NPM (Node Package Manager) and all npm files are stored in:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\npm\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\

if your USERNAME has a special/accented character, it will not handle it and looks for bower in a duplicate user folder (with strange character replacement).

Copy/paste npm and npm-cache folder in the other User folder has worked for me.

Sorry, false alarm...

It may be a clue but Istill have an issue: now a folder is created with "js" and "scss" but no "bower_component" folder.

SOS

Finally !

The issue is related to npm and AppData folder.

1 - Open with notepad the "npmrc" file in "C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm"
2 - Edit as follows: "prefix=C:\Program Files\nodejs"
3 - Save & Close
4 - Launch again bower instalaltion: "npm install -g bower"
5 - "foundation new MY_PROJECT" should works now !

Still getting the same Error, Sebastien Dufourcq.

Neil Haskins almost 4 years ago

This is the exact same issue I'm having, and unfortunately Mr. Dufourcq's suggestion has not worked for me either.

Neil Haskins almost 4 years ago

I believe I have the solution. When I installed git this morning I chose the (recommended) option to only have it available from the git command line, thus it didn't work from the node.js command line, and I saw the same error as above. Just reinstall git and choose to have it available from the windows command line. That's what I did, and it worked for me. (Also, note that once you've created your new site you'll need to run "compass watch" for it to generate your css from your scss).

Thanks Neil Haskins, I haven't install Git.

I will blame the instrutions for not putting Git as a link. But is totally my fault lol.
I assume Git meant to be logged into Git Hub.

The thing is: it worked, I installed Git choosing option Neil pointed out, and then I called
SASS

in the prompt, and there you go.

it creates the files on a wierd way, but i get _settings.scss !

Thanks a lot! this is gonna make my Friday Night a hell of a night.

Let me know if this Solution from Neil works for you too, so I can close the replies marking the issue as "Resolved"

and forget my english! c:

and forget the "SASS" in the reply from before

José Eduardo Biasioli almost 4 years ago

The solutions from Neil and Sebastien worker perfectly for me. Thanks a lot guys!

Gene Sy almost 4 years ago

I have the exact same problem but the solutions found on this thread helped me a bit. I can now use the command foundation new "project" but foundation update is still broken. it just says run bower update "." and does nothing.

help?

David Pindrys almost 4 years ago

I'm getting the same prompt and results (empty folder created) when I "foundation new MY_PROJECT". I'm on a Mac running 10.8.5 and I think that Git works differently for Mac than Windows machines - is it recommended I reinstall Git?

Also, file named "npmrc" does not exist on my machine (tho there are many "node modules")

Gene and David, sorry to read that.

David, did you watch the video on mac, the awesome guys of foundation posted here? http://bit.ly/1bLIKkW
I would say you reinstall, whatever you believe is necesary to fix the problem.

Gene, you create the project before trying to update, right?
What if you just wait with that bower dot?

Thanks Alex, I hadn't seen that video before. Unfortunately, it didn't offer any insights the Docs don't, and as I follow him through the process, everything checks out until he does the "foundation new my_project" at which point the error shows up. Ho hum. I think I'll just download and install SASS from the repo.

Wait. Is that even possible, or do I need to figure out why the console is giving me so much trouble?

Riccardo De Contardi almost 4 years ago

I got the same problems with Windows7...none of the suggestions posted here work :(